TL;DR: The SG-Demcol fund has been handed over to 4 workers elected from the Housekeeping department and will be transformed into Worker Samadhaan Fund (WSF), a worker-led interest-free loan system. Please contribute to the fund to this link to help make the handover process smoother. We welcome both one-time contributions and monthly contributions. The latter would bring in a steady amount of funds each month. In case you wish to join the list of monthly contributors, please fill out this form
In May 2022, we conducted an election in the Housekeeping Department and have since handed over the Fund to four elected representatives (2 male staff and 2 female staff). Moving forward, these elected representatives will take all decisions on the Fund. Over several department-wide meetings, a standard set of rules were decided through a show of hands, and the workers have decided that the Fund should be transformed into an interest-free loan system.
- Workers taking money from the fund for the first time will be exempted from paying back 25% of the total loaned amount.
- Decision on loan will be taken based on the workers’ personal circumstances and number of dependents, and priority will be given to workers facing medical and other emergencies.
- Elections for the committee will take place every 6 months (currently: May and November).
- Though the fund is currently managed by Housekeeping workers, workers from other departments are welcome to donate to the fund, request for a loan, and partake in the committee election cycle.
Since the committee is in its initial phase, some of the rules are being discussed and might be amended on the basis of feasibility as the committee and larger worker body deems fit. Contributors will be notified of these changes if and when they occur.
- Ensures a steady flow of funds.
- Provides a rough monthly estimate of funds available.
- Helps avoid frequent emergency individual fundraisers (which require sensitive information) that are often inadequate and delay the process.
- You are free to contribute any sum of money and make changes to the amount mentioned previously.