This has been an incredibly difficult year for everyone, especially for me and my family. I am going to hit a big milestone with my 40th birthday coming up in 9 days (14th Oct) and I had some grand plans that I have been thinking about for a couple of years now and make it memorable.
With how this year has unfolded personally for me and with the current situation neither I am not going to have any celebrations which involve gathering nor I am in a spirit to party as I had once planned.
That said, I want to do something meaningful which helps put things into perspective and also my parents from up there can see that and be proud and happy about it.
On My 40th Birthday, I plan to Cycle 100 KM In return - this is a reach out to my friends and relatives all over the globe with a request to help me raise INR 1,50,000 which will allow me to buy close to 50 Bicycles for the poor kids (especially young girls) who have to walk a long distance in hot weather, rains to get to school. I just felt having cycled to get to school will not only give them needed comfort, save time but it will also be fun for them to be able to cycle with their friends.
I was so happy when my father bought me HERO RANGER, my sister had BSA SLR and elder brother had MAC ONE :)
My Plan and Preparation so far
- I will donate INR 50,000 from my side (~GBP 500)
- My Elder brother with his contacts is helping me identify and list down poor needy kids, these will be kids of parents who work on daily wages and are not in a position to buy cycle for their kids
- Cycle Dealer from Akola (Baheti Brothers) has been identified and I have got an initial quote of 3200-3300 per bike with some additional cost involved for transportation and distribution
- Pics, Videos of the Distribution ceremony will be published along with Invoice, Names, and contact details of all beneficiaries
In terms of my readiness to cycle 100 KM
- I need to buy, borrow a cycle, or just use my 9 years old hybrid bike for 100 KM ride :) I am still unsure but I will decide soon
- In touch with few Cyclist friends who are helping me finalizing the route
- No idea how the weather will be but I promise I will get the job done irrespective!
- I aim to step out for practice rides ( 2 to 3 X 25 to 30 KM) between now and birthday
If anyone fancies joining me - please do. Needless to say, Lunch will be on me :)
Thank you all in advance for your help and I look forward to your support.