Cauvery Calling. Action Now!
"Cauvery has been the source of wellbeing, prosperity and the very source of life for these lands. A forest-fed perennial river is fast becoming a seasonal stream as 87% of tree cover has been removed in 50 years. Cauvery is calling, do you have a heart to hear?" – Sadhguru
Cauvery Calling is a first of its kind campaign, setting the standard for how India’s rivers – the country’s lifelines – can be revitalized. It will initiate the revitalization of Cauvery river and transform the lives of 84 million people.
As trees disappear, soil is being eroded, Cauvery is drying up, and farmers are suffering.
- Cauvery has depleted over 40% in the last 70 years
- 87% of the basin’s original tree cover has been lost
- Almost half the Cauvery basin suffers critical groundwater depletion
The suffering of farmers and their suicides in Tamil Nadu and Karnataka have made national headlines
- 83% of farmers in Tamil Nadu and 77% of farmers in Karnataka are in debt
- 17 districts in Tamil Nadu were drought-hit in 2019
- 15 of the last 18 years have been drought years in Karnataka
The simplest way to make Cauvery flow again is to plant trees. Cauvery Calling will support farmers to plant 242 crore trees in Cauvery basin by adopting agroforestry.
This will have the triple benefit of
- Improving soil health by replenishing organic content in the soil
- Reviving the river and groundwater levels by increasing water retention in Cauvery basin by an estimated 40%
- Augmenting farmer income through agroforestry, proven to multiply farmers’ incomes 3-8 times in 5-7 years
₹ 42 per tree
Plant 1+ or more trees and be a Cauvery Upasaka
Plant 10+ or more trees and be a Cauvery Shoora
Plant 100+ or more trees and be a Cauvery Mitr
Plant 1000+ trees and be a Cauvery Veera
Plant 10,000+ trees and be a Cauvery ParamVeera
Plant 100,000+ trees and be a Cauvery Rakshak
Plant 1 million+ trees and be a Cauvery Yodha
Plant 10 million+ trees and be a Cauvery Nayaka
The funds shall be directed towards Isha Outreach to accomplish this noble deed.
I have initiated this fund raiser because I lives aside the river banks of Cauvery In Kodagu and we are and have been the victim of the situation in hand.
Please refer to the website: https://www.ishaoutreach.org/en/cauvery-calling
The objective is to reach the goal of 242 Crore trees, whether one here or directly in their website.