Here are few stats that shows what our maids go through while helping to make our lives better-
- No Leaves During Pregnancy- Yes, according to reports 46% of maid work for at least 8 hours during their 9th month of pregnancy.
- Sexual and Physical Harassment- In 2012 alone, 3564 cases of brutal violence were registered against maids. While we all know that these stats would definitely be in lakhs as most of the cases never reach police station or courts.
- No Fixed Salary, Health Insurance, etc.- With no structured salary in place, maids often get cheated on by their employers. Also, various health benefits that the government provides for the maid never reaches to them as majority of them are not a registered domestic worker.
We are a team of 3 full-time engineering graduates from NIT and IIT. For the past 4 months, we have been contacting maids, engaging them with our project and making them aware of their rights. The money we are seeking to raise would be used for-
- Purchasing Canopy's- We will purchase 1 canopy that would be placed in the township. The cost of one canopy is Rs. 5,000.
- Township Fees- A township charges approximately Rs. 9,500 for 2 day for placing a canopy in their premises. We intend to put the canopy's in 4 different townships for 2 days each. The cost incurred in it would be Rs. 38,000.
- Maid's Dress and Id card- We would provide 50 maids with dresses and id card. The cost incurred per maid is Rs. 500, so the total cost for the same is Rs. 25,000.
- Visiting Cards- Rs. 2,000 would be spent in printing visiting cards that would be handed out to people.