These experiences are universal.
Our kids want to change that.
Kummiyadi Penne is a women-empowerment project run by two Teach for India Chennai fellows that hopes to give kids from economically and socially disadvantaged backgrounds a fighting chance at tackling gender-based issues in their own communities and schools. The project will connect kids passionate about gender equity and bridging its gaps, with individual mentors, structured resources and all the tools necessary to problem-solve and drive the change they'd like to see.
What will the project involve?
- A conference that connects our little gender advocates with inspiring role models and speakers across diverse fields. This will give our kids a plethora of role models to engage and learn from.
- A structured 10-week curriculum that the kids will work on with assistance from their mentors. The curriculum is designed with the intention of helping these kids problem-solve a gender-based issue in their school/community. The kids will also develop on much needed 21st century skills such as collaboration, critical thinking, creativity, and leadership.
- A concluding conference where the kids will present their solutions, having tackled the issue directly with their original solutions; no longer needing their hands to be held.
What do we need funds for?
Our kids need resources and opportunities that would result in them actively solving a problem in their own communities. For this, we need funds:
- To organize and bring together speakers and role models from diverse walks of life in a conference where they could explore and be exposed to the multiple facets of gender-equity.
- To put together and develop learning material that would equip our kids with the knowledge, skills, and mindsets that would help them run their own projects in their school/community independently.
- To support our kids with mentors that would stand by them and hold their hands through this journey to support their learning of the ecosystem.
- To build a space for our kids to share their success stories and have their voices heard, having successfully initiated projects of their own.
It costs ₹2600 for us to support a kid through this journey over 10 weeks. For a small donation of ₹260, you can support one of our little heroes for a week and help them on their path to becoming a strong, independent gender advocate in their own schools and communities, creating small ripples of change.