RATIONALE OF THIS ACTIVITY:
As we all know, our Mother Earth is the only planet, where favorable conditions for survival of habitats are found. And the climate is one of the most curtail part, playing a vital role in existence of all the species present on earth. In fact that is the foremost foundation for evolution and development of all the living beings there today. This climate on Earth has its own unique pattern that promotes the equilibrium and nurturance for existence. A small variation in this pattern can cause any major adverse effect on these favorable conditions ultimately resulting in devastation of livelihood. In today’s scenario this pattern seems to be disturbed due to negligence and carelessness and taken for granted attitude shown by human being towards nature.
Increased carbon footprints, due to heavy carbon emissions through vehicles, factories and forest burnings, increased level in global temperature, causing glacier collapse, heavy floods, and ice rain are the results of climate change, that are noticed even without any research or scientific study.
Even though the advanced studies are on, in search of planet where flattering conditions for living are available, such planet is yet to be found. And there is no other option and no other replacement available for our Mother Earth.
Therefore, it becomes our necessity and primary duty to respect and protect these conditions and help it to perform its role slickly. This will only happen through sensitization, awareness, formulation of concerned groups and promoted research. Students and children are tomorrow’s dynamic citizens. If they will grow up with all the notions and concerns that are emphasized on them. And therefore, if we aware a child, it will contribute to its best against the fight with issue of global warming and climate change. Therefore, keeping in mind this fact, we have focused our activity on children and students of the society.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE ACTIVITY:
Aim of this activity is to sensitize the students about the importance of celebrating the Earth Day. Extending upon to this aim, we can mention few of the objectives as below.
- To promote reading and generating knowledge about the issue
- To aware the students about environmental issues and their impacts on biodiversity.
- To help the students learn eco friendly behavior and adopt environment healthy pattern of living.
- To generate a huge amount of human resource out of the students and parents to join earth protection movement.
ACIVITY IN DETAILS:
- As mentioned earlier, the organization has planned 3 competitions related to ‘World Earth Day’ as mentioned below:
- Slogan Writing Competition
- Essay Writing Competition
- Drawing Competition
These competitions will take place in two groups viz. Junior Group, for which the age frame has been fixed between 5 years to 10 years and Senior Group, for which the age frame is 10 years to 15 years. The description is given as below:
- Slogan Writing Competition:
- 1.1 Introduction:
- Slogan is that catchy line which gets everyone’s attention and conveys a huge message in a small fraction. An effective slogan remains in the mind for long time, and craft an influential impact. Slogans have proved to be effectual in awareness and sensitization on any issue. Therefore a slogan writing competition is planned keeping in mind following objectives:
- think on various aspects of the issue and get the knowledge about subject informally To promote student’s creative thinking
- To help the students put forward their thoughts in prescribed format
- To make the students
- 1.2 Other Specifications:
- As mentioned earlier, this competition will be held for two groups. The students can choose to write the slogans in three languages that are fixed and those are English, Marathi and Hindi only. The rules and regulations of all the three competitions are prescribed together under a separate title.
- 1.3 Topics For the Competition:
- I. Human being and Climate change
- II. Protection of Earth Climate
- III. Importance of Climate for Survival
- 2. Essay writing competition:
An essay enhances our thinking process and develops a balanced writing skill. It lets the essayist to make an expedition in the forest of innovative thoughts and allows him to lose himself in versatile world of creative writing. Believing in following objectives, the organization has planned this competition:
- To develop rational thinking of the students about the issue
- To develop précised writing skills, with special focus on environmental writing, understanding the difference between normal and scientific writing
- To develop research based analytical thinking and develop an ability to put forward the same.
- To develop scientific and environmental approach among students
2.2 Other Specifications:
Likely to the slogan writing competition, this competition will also be held for two groups, Senior and Junior and the students can choose to write their essays in three languages that are fixed and those are English, Marathi and Hindi only. The word limit is fixed to 500 words.
2.3 Topics for the competition:
I. Global Warming and Climate Change
II. Our Interventions against Climate Change
III. Effect of Climate Change on Harvest
It is said that drawing was the very early mode of communication during the process of evolution of human being. When the verbal communication was yet to be developed, the drawing played an important role in communicating the feelings, emotions, hazards, predictions and other things with each other. Now, even though the languages are developed, and easy communication occurs, the uniqueness and special effect of drawing in communication doesn’t reduce. In fact the drawing has also developed its importance getting specific aspects to it like cartoons, similes, cover pages of books etc. The objectives behind planning this competition were thought as follows:
- To help the students acquire qualitative knowledge about the issue to convert it in the language of pictures
- To develop students forwarded imaginations regarding the issue and enhance their presentation skills
3.2 Other Specifications:
Similar to above mentioned competitions, this competition will also be held in Senior and Junior Groups. As drawing has no barrier of language obviously, no specified medium of language could be restrained.
3.3 Topics for the competition:
I. Carbon Emissions and Climate Change
II. A Healthy Climate
III. Hazards of Climate Change
- Rules and regulations of the competition:
- A student must write his/ her complete name, address and contact details of their parents while sending their entries, as the winners will be announced through the submitted details. Entries without name, address and contact details won’t be considered valid.
- A student has to send entries at the address mentioned below on or before April 15th 2016 only.
- Address: National Social Society,
- Shree Om Mahaveer CHS, First Floor, 102,
- Opposite Priyanka Restaurant, Airoli West,
- Sector no. 3, Airoli, Navi Mumbai 400708
- A student can participate in all three competitions, but only one entry in each category will be considered.
- In case of slogan competition, a set of three slogans will be considered as one entry, which means, student has to prepare three slogans as one entry for slogan competition, whereas in case of essay competition, one essay limited upto 500 words, will be considered as one entry.
- A student must attach a copy of his/ her age proof along with the entry. The entries without age proof won’t be considered valid.
- A student must make use of a plain white and fresh fullscape papers to write the essays and slogans
- A student should make use of a plain white and fresh Cardboard paper to make their drawings for competition.
- Entries for essay and slogan competition should be made on two separate papers.
- The essay, slogan and drawing must be related to the topic strictly.
- The student can send his/ her entry via post, courier or in person on or before the due date
- Entries received after the due date won’t be considered.
- The decision of the judges will be final.
The organization has planned a systematic methodology for the effective implementation of the activity. The process will go on in following steps:
As mentioned earlier, the geographical area to carry on the activity is fixed as Panvel and Thane district.
- Fixation of the Target Group:
As the organization promotes child education, the target area is students and children between the age group 5 to 16 with the special focus on environmental education.
- Approach and communication:
Keeping in mind of the constraint of student’s absence in school due to summer vacation on determined date, it has been decided to communicate about this activity through local news papers and periodicals and generate the attentiveness of students and their parents. The organization is looking forward around 250 to 300 entries for the competitions all together.
- Collection and scrutinizing of the entries:
Collection of the entries will be done at the corporate office of NSS that is located at Airoli, Navi Mumbai. The entries then will be scrutinized and categorized accordingly and sent for judgment to the expertise in the field.
The expertise, after screening all the entries from each category, will select best 3 out of all and 5 or 7 consolations, depending upon the number of entries received as his/ her final decision.
- Communication to winners:
The best three and consolation prize winners will be communicated through contact details provided by them and will be called for the prize distribution ceremony at planned venue.
- Prize distribution ceremony:
A hall in near proximity of the target area will be fixed and the winners will be called for the ceremony and the prizes will be distributed.
The criteria for the evaluation of the activity are planned as follows:
- Number of entries received:
Effective communication and relevance & need of the activity will be evaluated
- Data maintenance and record keeping
- Event management skills:
Effective management of event will be evaluated through the program of prize distribution ceremony
Audit will be done within a week to ensure the transparency of the sponsors