I am Utsav Gudhaka. I have been selected for MIT Beyond Food Bootcamp to be held in Taiwan from 10th to 15th September. I have started this campaign to raise the required funds to make this possible.
I am trained in Engineering from BITS Pilani University and I have research experience in making energy efficient, sustainable and green buildings for urban areas from NTU Singapore and IIT Bombay. More than a year back I decided to travel through the small towns and villages in India and just observe. These travels led me to the beautiful spiritual town of Auroville. It was in Auroville, when I first felt my connect with Nature and Food. The meals I had there was nourishment for my mind, body and soul. This was because, the food was fresh, locally grown and cooked & served with a lot of love.
When I moved back to the city, I saw that this connect was completely missing in the city.
- Most of the people in the city have never really planted a seed or nurtured/loved a plant.
- The food we eat is highly processed and adulterated and it is the cause of many diseases.
- The food travels from long distances to feed the urban areas. (~40% of the food produced is wasted in transportation and storage)
- Large scale land degradation is taking place due to added pressure on land to produce more food.
- 70% of worlds freshwater is used by agriculture due to unsustainable agricultural practices.
- On top of all of this, 1 out of 9 people in the world do not get enough food.
Clearly, I realized that our food system is broken and I was deeply concerned about this. So, I have made it my life's mission to work towards creating a sustainable food system! I do this through the tool at my disposal, Technology!
About MIT Beyond Food Bootcamp:
It is a program for young entrepreneurs to come together and solve complex problems of our current food and agricultural system. 120 innovators from 70+ countries will be a part of this program with mentors who have deep understanding of the problems. The program will enhance the skills needed to bring about change in the food system.
MIT Beyond Food Bootcamp
Tuition = $6000 = INR 3,88,000
Travel = INR 42,000
Accommodation + Visa = INR 40,000
Total = INR 4,70,000
I should pay ₹1,29,334 ($2000) by 7th July 2017 and the remaining should be paid by July 30th, 2017.
Clearly our food system is broken and hurting us as well as the planet. So, I intend to relentlessly work for a sustainable food system. This Bootcamp would truly accelerate me on this path by providing me with the necessary guidance, skills and network. I urge you to support me on my mission for a safe, healthy and sustainable food system by contributing to campaign!