Suryoday Trust runs a school for children with mental disabilities called Suryoday School. The school is situated in Nalasopara which is 60 km from Mumbai and enrolls children from low income backgrounds in areas which are under-served in availability of special education services.
We currently have 40 children enrolled with us.
We believe that people with disability, irrespective of their age, gender, cultural or linguistic background, religious belief, geographic location, sexual orientation, or the nature, origin or degree of their disability:
- Have a right to education like all normal children.
- Possess many skills and abilities, and have enormous potential for growth and development.
- Are entitled to live in and be a part of a diverse and inclusive community.
- Are entitled to social support and adjustment as a right, and not as the result of pity, charity or the exercise of social control.
Since 2010, we have grown from 6 children to 40 children in 2017. The key impacts measured so far are in the following areas. Increase in the number of children independently able to:
- Use Toilets
- Perform pre-vocational activities clubbed under broader areas like computer training, art and craft, safety skills, healthcare, etc.
The school helps build key skills that help children with mental disabilities become functionally independent and socially integrated in future. Some of these skills are
In order to make children become functionally independent in today's world where everything is more useful and accessible with the help of technology, it is important that the curriculum of the school includes exposure to technology. Therefore, we are looking to raise funds to purchase 7 laptops for the school. Using these laptops, we will be able to teach children the basic skill sets like typing, using cursor, navigating a website, using search engines, etc. This will also help the children vocationally.
- toilet habits,
- cooking, basic ironing of clothes,
- value of money,
- outdoor sports activities,
- making hand crafted products,
- crossing the road,
- drawing, crafts, music, etc.