Dhenkanal , Odissa based 80 G Certified NGO , NEW INDIA are working towards obtaining a 4×4 rural ambulance for the people of our community.
The area has never had an ambulance provision before and will use it primarily to transport very ill patients to the main District Hospital in Dhenkanal 100 kilometres (60 miles) away where services such as Surgery, Labour wards, and Paediatrics can be accessed.
It’s not uncommon for a patient who is very ill to take two days getting to the hospital through a combination of walking and hitchhiking. We at the NEW INDIA NGO feel this is unacceptable for the rural communities we serve, and if we can reduce this time and give speedier medical treatment more lives can be saved.
Due to the agricultural location of the Dhenkanal area we cover it is important that the ambulance will be able to handle the terrain and un-surfaced roads common between the villages. We are looking to obtain an ambulance similar to the one shown in the picture below. A Mahindra chassis with 4×4 all wheel drive which should provide us with accessibility even in all season.
The vehicle comes pre-fitted with to the following specifiation:
- Engine driven air conditioner
- Inverter with battery for power back up
- Emergency light bar with public address system
- Stretcher cum trolley for easy movement of patient
- Oxygen cylinder with pipeline
- Exterior graphic with logo and lettering
- FRP panel for interior
- Marine plywood with vinyl sheet flooring
- Extra blinkers lights for side
- Sofa for patient relatives
- Cabinet near stretcher for medical equipments
- S.S. finish cabinet for storage of medical equipments
- Provision for fitment for all life saving equipments
- Wash basin with foot operated pump
- IV hooks and pads
- Fitting of scoop stretcher
- Overhead medical cabinet
- Stainless steel waste bin – dry and wet.
We have been quoted a cost of Rs. 26 Lahks for the above vehicle.
This is the basic equipment needed to allow life support for critical patients and life support.
- Oxygen tanks (2 L/hour X 4 hour) valves, Rs. 30,000/-
- B.P. Apparatus, Suction Machine Rs. 40,000/-
- Laryngoscope Rs. 12,000/-
- Guedel Airway, introtracheal tube Rs. 8,000/-
- I.V. set, Fluids, Syringesand needles Rs. 4,000/-
- I.V. fluids, and IV monitor Rs. 6,000/-
- Emergency Crash Cart Rs. 15,000/-
- Stretchers Rs. 10,000/-
The costs for the medical equipment amount to Rs. 124,000 — $ 2,600
This makes our goal for this project Rs. 28.5 lakh or around $39,500 US dollars. An amount nearly impossible to achieve in India for a scheme like this.
As a contribution towards NGO, it shall be eligible for tax exemptions under sec 80G.
Thank you for your consideration and we look forward for your help
We are grateful for your help!
Donate now – even if it is just small change – any amount helps.