We came to know that he has a rare disease called Pulmonary Alveolar Microlithiasis, Respiratory Failure, Coronary Artery Disease Post Stenting, Osteoporosis, Nephrolithiasis, a phenomenon, where both of his lungs are turning into stones and inoperable.
We got him admitted to Siddhartha Hospital, Kakinada, and after observations and tests, we were informed that my brother should go through a lung transplant.
From the covid time, we are really cautious in going to hospitals considering his lungs issues and he is on breathing through external supports like Oxygen concentrators and Oxygen Cylinders 24 X 7.
Mr. Vamsi Krishna Mootha (Pulmonologist) in Siddhartha Hospital, Kakinada advised us to consult with Mr. Srinivas Rajagopala who is the Director - Transplant Pulmonology at Yashoda Hospitals, Secunderabad branch. He is one of the best doctors in Asia in transplanting with a higher success rate.
As many as 70+ tests were done as part of the assessment to see if my brother is fit to get the transplant done. The doctor said that he is fit to get the transplant and the hospital authorities enrolled in the Jeevandhan program to get a lungs donor.
70+ tests in the hospital cost 3,60,000 (3.6 lakhs INR)
The hospital provided us an estimation and mentioned:
- Transplantation charges for 21 days will be around Rs. 28,00,000/- ( This includes 12 days ICU and 9 days ward Pharmacy limit of 10,00.00/, Investigations limit of 3,00,000/-, surgery charges, etc..)
- ECMO Procedure and Installation charges- 5,00,000/-.
- The medication has to be taken for atleast an year post surgery.
- There are 15,00,000 (15 Lakhs) more additional expenses as a buffer to tackle infections, doctor consultations, physiotherapy, room charges, ambulance charges, etc.,
- The 1st year of surgery will have medicines which cost anywhere between 25,000 - 50,000 per month and from second year onwards the cost of medicines will be 15,000 - 30,000 and so on.
- we have spent more than 13,00,000 (13 Lakhs) for his treatment and all his income is adjusted.
- For the commute, he has to use an ambulance with oxygen support and he has to visit the hospital once every 3 days till the surgery
- Picture of Mr. Venkateswara Rao
- Reports of the 70+ tests
- Estimation letter from Yashoda Hospitals