Mentally ill women are doubly vulnerable in society due to deep prejudices against them and an inadequate understanding and perception of mental illness. According to mental health professionals in India, it is common for women to be abandoned (entirely) if diagnosed with a mental illness. Since symptoms of mental illnesses are also physical, conventional treatments in general hospitals are mostly ineffective. Women then are at a high risk of being victims of inappropriate treatments, sexual abuse and/or open exploitation in the form of trafficking, prostitution, rape and torture. Such women rescued and brought to shelter homes experience a gap in proper treatment, rehabilitation and most importantly, re-integration into society.
- Bringing women from difficult circumstances to an organized platform, building capacity in them to fight for and obtain their rights, and lead a peaceful & dignified life
- Woman empowerment through development of leadership skills and decision-making powers
- Empowering and uplifting of disabled women so that they are able to lead independent, respected and comfortable lives
- Sensitizing community against gender-based & domestic violence against women
- Implementing programs of Reproductive and Child Health (RCH)-caring for pregnant women, lactating mothers and infants
Since 2011, CWSHA has developed a variety of holistic social and mental health solutions that address various issues faced by these women. This includes:
- psychiatric care
- socio- psychological care offered through our community based care shelters
- inclusive long term care options for women with high support needs
- We also provide skill-based training and livelihood enhancement workshops to these women and where possible, help them find suitable employment
While Gharonda aspires to carry out its work to the best possible level, your monetary support helps us in making sure that we are able to provide adequate and holistic services to these women so that they may be able to turn their lives around. We hope that you take this noble and empowering cause into consideration and help us provide the required support.