This is Bhabatosh Mund (B. Tech Biotechnology). MS (Bioinformatics).
I have been researching and exploring on waste management for the past 6 months and here I propose a solution on how we can develop a zero-waste city. After I analyzed the waste management system and how it is operated in India I found out that there are several areas which requires a need for improvement. One of the important reasons I found why the waste is not properly managed in most of the cities is the lack of knowledge and awareness among common people/citizen on how waste can be properly channelized.
There is so much research being carried out and polices developed on in the area of waste management. There are few private sectors operating on this which may not be sufficient to reach the urban and rural areas and make them zero waste or at least maintain minimum waste. According to the Press Information Bureau, India generates 62 million tonnes of waste which includes both recyclable and non-recyclable waste. Waste generated can be divided into three major categories.
- Organic (Biodegradable Waste)
- Dry (Can be recyclable) - paper, plastic, glass, metal etc
- Biomedical (Hazardous Waste)
- Segregation at source (Which we have to create awareness on each household).
- Reduction of Waste at source (We need to explain how we can do Composting at home itself)
Use of waste ultrasonic Smart Sensors to monitor waste at source can result in overall waste collection cost reduction by at least 30% and carbon emission reduction up to 60% in cities.
2. Recycling of Non Biodegradable waste.
3. When we say waste collection especially from household we always see the food items or papers etc. but there are many other plastic wastes or sometimes electronic- waste available in the home which can be either donated or sold. We just need to communicate with every household and industry through a proper channel.
4. In this era of Digital or social networking, any message that you share will be easily communicated with thousands of people in no time. We have to use this as a powerful platform to provide messages to all citizens. Waste can be disposed with the help of the municipality but it is also the responsibility of every citizen to take just a few minutes of time before providing the waste to the waste collector
Platform or App for Waste Management (a solution to channelized the waste) – One of the easy ways to manage is to develop a unique app Which includes the following features.
1. Pre-Book the waste collection which can be tracked by location (GPS)
2. Training on how to prepare composting unit at home (can be done by video)
3. User Login for the buyer based on types of waste.
4. User login for seller with an option seller types and whether they will sell or donate the waste.
5. Restaurant owners, canteen, marriage/event organizer can donate the food if there is any food is not consumed and its is in good condition.. Food Relief organization can contact them to collect the food and they can feed to the hunger.
6. Videos for awareness on how to segregate the waste.
7. A system where you can also exchange the recycled waste with the biodegradable items (Bioplastics bags, Indoor-outdoor Plant, Biodegradable item)
8. Locate the nearest dustbin chamber or composting unit – This may be a future plan if the government can help in converting the dustbin chamber to the composting unit. It requires proper segregation of the waste source with a lot of plan
How Fund will be utilized
These funds will be used for the following:
- Opening and maintenance of website where all information related to reusable products will be available. (Website Under construction - http://greenindia.tech)
- Domain Registration: INR 116, Hosting Services: Free for One Year (Amazon Web)
- 10% of the fund will be utilized for providing funds to the university researchers conducting research on cleaning our environment.
- 10% of the fund will be utilized for buying used books and then using it to make the underprivileged or poverty deprived children to be accessible to read through it.
- 10% of the fund for Running Social media campaigns for the awareness of using reusable or biodegradable products in major cities.(Chennai, Bengaluru, Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Hyderabad)
- 20% of the fund will be utilized for plantation of tree collaborating with school children
- To develop an app where both buyers and sellers of plastic waste will be available. We can also integrate the seller of Biodegradable items in the app. The cost of a complex mob app will be on the higher side as we are going to develop a multivendor login app and many features. Approx (2 lakh).
- We have also filed Patent for our Idea (Patent Application number 202041011327- Cost INR 1600)