Relatives Refused To Help 4-Year-Old Because She’s A Girl | Milaap
This is a supporting campaign. Contributions made to this campaign will go towards the main campaign.
This campaign has stopped and can no longer accept donations.

Relatives Refused To Help 4-Year-Old Because She’s A Girl

A few years ago, our happy home was filled with laughter. Donya used to chase me around and laugh loudly every time she thought she had caught me. We would play small games and my days would be filled with her never-ending stories. Our children were happy and healthy. There was nothing more Vikas and I could ask for. But everything changed for us last year. Life as we knew it, came to a shocking standstill. 



When Donya was a little over two years old, she developed a fever that just wouldn't go away. Numerous doctors visits and lists of medicines that she took were fruitless. Her fevers kept coming back. She only got weaker and unresponsive. Her condition disintegrated from there on. She started to faint often, but no one was able to give us answers. Both Vikas and I are not educated enough to understand any sign of a major ailment. But as they say, a mother’s heart knows it all. I knew something was not fine with my baby.



I insisted that we go to a good hospital and get her a full body check-up. Tests confirmed that my little one had Thalassemia Major, a severe genetic blood disorder where the body fails to generate haemoglobin for red blood cells. Doctors said that the treatment for this condition included blood transfusion and that it should have been administered to Donya much earlier.



Donya started blood transfusions. We were first told that the transfusions would give Donya a few more years at best. However, a recent check-up revealed that the transfusions had caused iron to accumulate in her body and was affecting her organs. We would never want to give up on our beautiful, always smiling girl, but it seemed like all hope was lost.



Finally, there was a sliver of hope – Donya could be saved with a bone marrow transplant and we were determined to do everything we could to make sure she gets the life-saving treatment. Kushank, our younger son, got tested to see if he could be a donor. Sadly, the tests revealed that he too has Thalassemia. Only one thing ran through our minds- did this mean that we would lose both our children?

We knocked on many doors of our neighbours and relatives to ask them for help, but they all refused. They asked us why we wanted to save our girl child. I couldn't believe it. No one came forward to help us only because she's a girl. We're now at a dead end.



I don’t remember the last time I felt happiness. Donya tries to make Vikas and I smile, however. She touches my cheek gently when I'm very sad. As if she's the adult consoling a child. As parents, we wish to shield our children from every harm. But both now are children are living through a nightmare. I'm wracked with guilt because the only way to save my daughter is something we will never be able to afford. We're standing in the way of her recovery and I will never forgive myself if we lose her for this.

How You Can Help 

My husband, Vikas is a farmer in Adampur, Haryana. He has been working over and above what is possible to make the impossible happen. We have been desperately trying to arrange for enough to sustain Donya's treatments. There are only a few months when farming is possible. Whatever he can make in the productive months, is all we have for the entire year. There is no fixed income, but there is a fixed medical expense of Rs 20,000 every month. Sometimes we need extra money for tests. My little baby girl Donya, will slip away from us if we can’t get her bone marrow transplant done urgently. The amount required to save my little girl is Rs 40 lakhs, but there's no way for us to afford it. 
Estimation letter
Estimation letter
Ask for an update
27th August 2018
Dear Supporters,

Thank you for your love and support. This means a lot to us.

Donyan is currently doing okay. She is undergoing chemotherapy and the doctors have advised five cycles of chemotherapy. The unrelated donor who matched with her, from the US, backed out from the procedure. Also, it was proving to be a little expensive for us. Hence, we then started looking for someone from India.

Fortunately, we've been able to find a potential donor from India. The transplant is likely to be scheduled in the first week of September, if all goes well. We are all hopeful about her recovery and this procedure going well.

Please keep praying for her. We shall keep you posted. Thank you everyone once again! Also, we shall be stopping the campaign here now, as we have been able to arrange enough funds for her treatment. 

Regards,
Vikas (father of Donya)
Dear Supporters,

Thank you for your love and support. This means a lot to us.

Donyan is currently doing okay. She is undergoing chemotherapy and the doctors have advised five cycles of chemotherapy. The unrelated donor who matched with her, from the US, backed out from the procedure. Also, it was proving to be a little expensive for us. Hence, we then started looking for someone from India.

Fortunately, we've been able to find a potential donor from India. The transplant is likely to be scheduled in the first week of September, if all goes well. We are all hopeful about her recovery and this procedure going well.

Please keep praying for her. We shall keep you posted. Thank you everyone once again! Also, we shall be stopping the campaign here now, as we have been able to arrange enough funds for her treatment. 

Regards,
Vikas (father of Donya)
20th July 2018
Dear Supporters,

Thank you for your support. This wouldn't have been possible without you.

Donya is on medication currently and is doing better. The person from Australia who was identified as a potential donor, backed out because of some personal reasons and we had to start looking for another donor and we have successfully been able to find a match in the US.

We are all hopeful about her recovery. Please keep praying and supporting her.

Regards,
Vikas
Dear Supporters,

Thank you for your support. This wouldn't have been possible without you.

Donya is on medication currently and is doing better. The person from Australia who was identified as a potential donor, backed out because of some personal reasons and we had to start looking for another donor and we have successfully been able to find a match in the US.

We are all hopeful about her recovery. Please keep praying and supporting her.

Regards,
Vikas
18th June 2018
Dear Supporters,

Thank you for your wonderful love and support.

Donya is currently doing well and the bone marrow test has been done already. There might be someone from Australia who may be a potential donor. We are waiting for the reports post which, the doctors will take a call on the further course of action.

Chemotherapy hasn't been started yet because once we start, we can't delay the transplant. Please keep praying for her and supporting her.We shall keep you posted.

Thank you again!
Dear Supporters,

Thank you for your wonderful love and support.

Donya is currently doing well and the bone marrow test has been done already. There might be someone from Australia who may be a potential donor. We are waiting for the reports post which, the doctors will take a call on the further course of action.

Chemotherapy hasn't been started yet because once we start, we can't delay the transplant. Please keep praying for her and supporting her.We shall keep you posted.

Thank you again!
Content Disclaimer: The facts and opinions, expressed in this fundraiser page are those of the campaign organiser or users, and not Milaap.
Rs.0
raised of Rs.860,000 goal

0 Supporters

Beneficiary: Donya Asija info_outline