Our mission is off to a running start with the schools situated under the Krishnarajapuram Education Block, with a current focus on Siddapura Govt. School located at Varthur Road. On the basis of our survey of classes (1 to 10) and the observations of the school authorities, we have identified that irregular attendance, dropout of students and poor learning achievements are the factors leading to the plight of government schools in general.
Following this, we laid out a master plan to overcome these challenges through our interventions in the following areas of the school environment for meaningful, long-term, sustainable change in government schools.
- Teacher Training: Improvements in teaching standard will naturally elevate the school standard for good. In-service teachers will be trained to acquire professional qualifications. New teachers will be recruited to enhance the pupil-teacher ratio. The training will consist of the requirements based on the school - for instance, English speaking or computer training classes.
- Classroom Infrastructure: There are alarming statistics about the number of classrooms available in government schools across the state. Even the available classrooms are in serious need of repair work. We aim to build more clean classrooms with basic amenities for furniture and electricity. Additionally, turning them smart and digital with LCD screens and video lessons to make learning easy and playful.
- Outside Classroom infrastructure: Let no parent hesitate to admit their children in these government schools. We look forward to equipping schools with ample safety standards and a favourable environment for students to thrive. Our checklist involves making hygienic toilets for boys and girls with water and adequate sanitation facilities, a well-equipped wealthy library, suitably designed science laboratories, development of sports facilities and a well-laid auditorium to showcase their talents.
- Academic Support/Co-curricular activities: We contribute to the scholarships programmes for students who are unable to make it to school. We have also included life skill lessons that teach planning, organisation skills, prioritisation, time management skills and so on. Also, organise co-curricular activities in sports and arts to shape the spirit of healthy competition among students.
- Students’ Health- based programmes: Growing up healthy constitutes both physical and emotional well-being. We inculcate counselling sessions to awareness classes about safety and security against violence and safe use of the Internet. Also, conduct medical screenings, dental, eye checkup camps and follow up treatment for the students.
- All the above-mentioned initiatives are charted into different phases with their implementation one after the other.
- While this remains our specific areas of target, our members will conduct a regular assessment to add new projects based on the changing requirements of the schools.
- The above-mentioned activities are also backed by a strong team of volunteers under the parent company of Pattem Foundation.
Our ideas are not generic, we strongly stand by to execute them and win the game. For this purpose Pattem Foundation’s activities are largely driven by fundraising campaigns. We openly seek contributions from individuals and companies alike to help less fortunate children climb the ladder to a better life. We would love to see individuals like you coming together to make government schools a great gain.