45 Year old Mahadevi Shinge since her birth has been a resident of Shirahatti Village in Athani Taluka of Belgaum. She has been living with her 70-year-old mother Sabavva Shinge - 70 years and her 18-year-old son Parasuram Mahadevi Shinge. The family has lived a peaceful life and practices farming to make a living.
On the fateful night of 7th Jan 2017, the family lost everything along with their home in a fire which brought down the home into ashes.
"We were all sound asleep. We had lit a lamp for pooja. I don't know how it happened. My nephew woke up because he smelled something burning. He saw that a part of the house had caught on fire. He began yelling for everyone to wake up. We were so shocked. We didn't know what was happening. We ran out of the house. Though we tried to put the fire out with water, it burnt everything we had." - Recalls Mahadevi
The fire was so strong that they were unable to grab anything at all.
Everything happened too fast to in fact the fire did not even allow them to collect any clothes or money.
Now Mahadevi and her family have been living in a temporary shelter at one of their neighbor's home.
"People around have been kind. We are living in a neighbor's house. They even gave us clothes to wear since ours burnt in the fire. We cook what we can on a wood fire pit outside the house on what little groceries we can buy. So far we have not had to pay rent, but I assume we soon will. It will be better if we got to just rebuild our home." Mentions Mahadevi
Why should you contribute?
Mahadevi and her brother work in the fields as coolies. They manage to make 6000/month in total and already have household expenses to look after. Building a new home looks like a distant dream for them and won't be possible in the current financial condition.