While much is being spoken and written about animal welfare in society, not enough is being done, for various reasons.
There can be harmony between man and animal and for us at Wag-A-Bond, the ideal world would be where “Every dog/cat has a home, and every home has a dog/cat”. We aspire to achieve just that!
- Sterilization- ABC (Animal Birth Control) program either independently or in collaboration with existing organizations working towards achieving it.
WAB-CT- We are happy to announce that 98% of the dogs in the areas adopted by us are sterilized. The 2 % population is that of dogs that are abandoned unceremoniously, who stray into our area in search of food or water or are now too old to be sterilized. The vision is to have no new litters!
- K9 Kitchen & Feeding- A well-fed healthy animal is an asset to the society to guard and not create menace. Besides that, every living being has a right to food and shelter.
WAB-CT- Last 2 years, we have been feeding all the dogs (100+) in the areas of our reach with a healthy diet. to maintain healthy & friendly population of dogs. This makes it easier for us to keep track of their vaccination and deworming as they are not aggressive & respond to us.
- Medical support- Vaccinations and medical health care is an on-going process which must not be ignored.
WAB-CT- Since the dogs fed by us live in populated areas, its necessary that they are vaccinated, dewormed and are treated for any infection they may have. Periodic vaccination drives are arranged for and deworming medicines are bought. Veterinary doctors are consulted for medical interventions.
- Transport ‘Pet Cab’- For mobility of the animals from streets to hospitals to foster etc.
WAB-CT- We do not have any transport yet, so we use our own vehicles or pay volunteers for petrol to help us carry large amount of food, plus carry the dogs for their sterilization to the Vet and back.
- Adoption Drives- Organize camps for adoption of the homeless pups.
WAB-CT- We work as a support system & Counsellors in adoption camps arranged by other NGOs/ Groups to help adopt pups/ kittens to loving families. Even if there are no camps, many pups find homes through untiring efforts of our volunteers.
- Sale of pet products- To give professional opportunities to creative minds and provide necessary utilities for animals.
WAB-CT- We aspire to collaborate with other NGOs and support them to raise funds that will be used in animal welfare.
- Events- Carnivals to raise funds and create awareness amongst people on how they can, and they must co-exist with animals.
WAB-CT- We have designed a plan to hold contests, exhibitions and events to raise awareness, specially amongst young kids, and raise funds to carry on our work. The next generation must hold the baton and carry forward our vision!
- Shelter or pet home for animals in transit/ need of temporary fostering.
WAB-CT- Land & Construction of a home for sick and homeless animals is desperately needed in urgent situations. An example of such a case is where a mother dies after delivering a litter. The pups need a place and care for survival. Most active volunteers typically have a house-full and hands full already to take up more responsibility. Hence a place to nurse them to health and then subsequent adoption is necessary.
- First Aid training programs for volunteers- To educate all volunteers on handling first aid cases, while keeping their own health in check.
- Fund raising for animal welfare- All activities cost money and we need to bridge the gap between demand and supply.