In the last couple of years working in education for children from very diverse backgrounds, two of my friends, Amrita and Sangeeta, and I always wondered:
- Are the various socio-economic or cultural differences between communities a roadblock to education? Could these instead be their greatest resource and asset?
- What if children can pursue the concepts that are important to them and their communities and take active ownership of their lives and community?
"Khoj",in Hindi and a host of other Indian languages, means discovery. Since the school focuses on children being able to explore, discover and construct their own knowledge, hence the name. "Community" in the name emphasizes on us becoming a community of learners by embracing our diversity through multicultural education. We started Khoj to build a school that models the answers to some of these questions and has the potential to become a lab school to support the expanse of concept-based, community-development-focused and multicultural education focused education where every child can thrive to attain her or his fullest potential.
Currently, we are a team of 5, with a rented space in Lallubhai Compound to start our first class of Jr. Kg with 26 students and their families. Our vision is that by 2029, Khoj will be an inclusive community of 300 learners, their parents, guardians, teachers and any others associated with the school. The school is operating under Apni Shala Foundation, a not-for-profit organisation registered under The Bombay Public Trust. We have partnered with The Akanksha Foundation for K-2 curriculum support and Seeking Educational Equity and Diversity (SEED) project, an initiative housed at Wellesley College, USA for multicultural education.
We are hoping to raise the funds and resources we need to therefore realize this vision. Through this fundraiser, I am aiming to raise INR 1,50,000 to help support Khoj in this academic year.
- You'll thereafter be informed about how you helped made a difference.
- You get the chance to interact with the children you supported and observe our unique school activities
- You will receive email updates on stories from the school on students' development and growth
- 71% of this cost goes into key Programme Areas including Curriculum and Instruction, Parent Education and Community Engagement
- 16% will go to sponsor classroom space and supplies
- 13% will support administration
*The amount is excluding 8% fee charged by Milaap on every contribution.
*Every donation made through an Indian account will be eligible for tax exemption.
Your support can help our children stay in school and grow as healthy and happy individuals.
This Children’s Day, join us in supporting our children!
Indian Express: http://tinyurl.com/lksrp2v
Free Press Journal: http://tinyurl.com/nadhrxx
The Times of India: http://tinyurl.com/lhjooyg
Read their story in Your Story!