In rural India, where the taboo related to menstrual hygiene is even worse; Adolescent girls are forced to leave their school with a fear of public shaming and discomfort. In some situations, sometimes girls drop out of schools at menarche. All this leads to a disturbing condition for women who deal with menstruation without proper aid, as a result of which they put health at risk in periods. Furthermore, they can't touch pickles, sit in religious ceremonies or celebrations, and on top of all, they have to sleep outside their house in a tiny hat, where they are not allowed to move outside or talk to any passer-by.
According to BBC Magazine,around 70 % of the reproductive infections in Indian women occur due to poor menstrual hygiene. There are grave health risks in periods if adequate sanitary measures are not taken. Some of the 5 health risks that can result from poor Menstrual Hygiene are:
- Infection of Reproductive Tract
- Urinary Tract Infection
- Yeast Infections
- Hepatitis B Infection
- Increased Risk of Cervical Cancer
The reason for initiating this drive are multi-fold, namely:
- Safety of women.
- Raising voice against abuse.
- To live a healthy lifestyle
- Importance of sanitary pads
- Educating women so that they can educate their child
We are pleased to share that Scope of Change contributed at a recent event by making 250 Sanitary pads packets (6 each) (Biodegradable product) for these young girls and women. At the event, we distributed these packets for free.
Biodegradable sanitary pads were our first choice due to the following reasons:
- Recommended by Gynecologists
- Maintain basic hygiene.
- Cleanliness or not harmful for reproductive parts.
- Plastic-free product.
- No Release of Dioxin
Some glimpse of our upcoming drives:
- Doctors will impart knowledge to women about menstrual hygiene and its importance for their healthy future.
- Providing refreshments to the attendees.
- Doling sanitary packets for free with the guidance of using them correctly.
- The cost of 1 Bio-degradable sanitary pad packet is Rs 60. Our target is to distribute 1000 packets. Thus, the total cost = Rs 60,000.
- The cost of 1 Refreshment packet is Rs 30. The total cost of a refreshment packet for 1000 attendees is Rs 30,000.
- The total event management cost will be Rs 10,000.
Reasons for supporting the campaign:
- To make the best and authentic knowledge reachable to the women. We will be collaborating with Doctors to conduct such events successfully.
- Your contribution will enable us to continue our supply of biodegradable pads at a zero cost.