Rahul (name changed on parents' request) lives in the slums of Dharavi in Mumbai and his father works as a labourer in a printing press. Zoya lives in the slums near Jogeshwari and her father passed away recently. Her mother does not earn enough to support Zoya and her brothers. Laxmi (name changed on parents' request) lives near Thane Station and her father has a tea stall near the railway station. Education is a fundamental right. 'Rahul, Zoya and Laxmi all had a right to quality education and yet, they did not know how to access it'.
The Right to Education Act is committed to ensuring that students from socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds can study in private schools free of cost. However, the implementation of the Act stumbles on several fronts. Not enough people know about their rights under this law. Even those who know struggle with the application process. There is no institutional system for grievance redressal. As a result, over 1.5 Lakh seats have gone vacant in the last 3 years.
(Status from 2018-19 campaign)
Since 2017, Tapasya Pratishthan has worked on spreading awareness regarding the Right to Education Act through door-to-door campaigning and outreach efforts, supported parents with the application process through our helpline and helpdesks and worked with the Government on strengthening the implementation of the Act. In the last 2 years, we have helped 17000+ children in Maharashtra get enrolled in a school of their choice.
(Sample Success Story)
Through our efforts, Rahul, Zoya and Lakshmi now go to good quality private schools and are set to break out of the vicious cycle of poverty.
We need your help in making quality education a reality for more children. With your support, we are looking to raise INR 500000 to realize our goal of supporting 3200 children getting admitted in a school of their choice. The breakup of these funds is given below:
- Program Costs Gross Annual Cost (INR)
- Run awareness campaigns and print information material for eligible beneficiaries. (Pamphlets, Banners, Posters, T-shirts, certificates, volunteers travel reimbursement- INR 2,00,000)
- Run a helpline to support parents with the application process (Salaries [INR 3000 per month per caller] of 10 helpline team member for 6 month - INR 1,80,000)
- Set up application desks to collect and process applications ( Setup 12 application desk [10,000 per Application desk expenses] -INR 1,20,000
For someone like you, its a matter of:
- Rs. 775 to fund 5 children for a year at the cost of a Starbucks Coffee
- Rs. 1550 to fund 10 children for a year at the cost of a Pizza
- Rs. 3100 to fund 20 children for a year at the cost of a timeout
- Rs. 7750 to fund 50 children for a year at the cost of a Vacation
- Rs. 15500 to fund 100 children for a year at the cost of a Smartphone
-Rs. 31000 to fund 200 children for a year at the cost of a Laptop
Even a small amount would go a long way in ensuring that the dreams of a child gets fulfilled.
As a mark of gratitude, we would offer some goodies to our generous donors:
- Donors contributing upto INR 3000 will receive a personalized thank you message as well as our Newsletter.
- Donors contributing INR 3000-10,000 will receive a personalized thank you message, our newsletter and mention in our social media handles as well.
- Donors contributing above INR 10,000 will receive a personalized thank you message, our newsletter, mention in our social media handles and a campaign badge as well
We appreciate all support, big or small !!!
So, donate, share with your friends and help us empower families and children to seek education in a school of their choice!