Did you know?
1. At least 26 people have died (including 22 army personnel) and 143 have gone missing after a Glacial Lake Outburst Flood over Lhonak Lake in North Sikkim on Wednesday, 4th October 2023. 2413 people have been evacuated and 6875 people are living in relief camps with a total of 1173 houses damaged.
2. The outburst triggered a flash flood in the Teesta River basin which led to a flood in the low lying areas, the worst affected being Singtam, East Sikkim.
3. Many roads coming to Sikkim (especially from Siliguri, West Bengal) have been washed away due to which transport as well as the movement of supply is constrained.
4. The northern part of Sikkim has been completely cut off with the major bridges that connected the area with the city being washed off. This means the transport of goods & people is almost impossible.
5. There is no network connectivity in the severely damaged areas
6. About 12-14 workers are reportedly stranded and are still yet to be found in Teesta Stage 3 Dam in Chungthang which has been severely damaged
7. Many citizens have been left homeless as they had to suddenly evacuate their home around 1 am on 4th October 2023. People escaped with only the clothes they were wearing, and have lost all their belongings.
While the numbers may seem low as we are a small state with less population but the damage done is colossal.
How can you help?
- The citizens have been shifted to temporary relief camps but there is a lack of basic necessities such as clothes, blankets, toiletries, food supply, fresh water, medicines etc.
- We request your help to buy essential supplies for the citizens affected by the flood & provide them a modicum of relief in these trying times.
We trust in your kindness!
Pray for us!