In the next two years, our team would transform learning in five schools in Shahpur Tehsil (Kangra) using our arts-based content and training. The team would design arts-based learning modules based on drama, songs, rap, drawing for lower primary classes. CLAP fellows would assist the students, educators and community members.
Our project would put a sincere and strong focus, on the fundamental principles in the education system, as stated in the NEP 2020 (New Education Policy) - multidisciplinary and holistic education, creativity and critical thinking, life skills, respect for diversity and respect for the local context, and synergy in curriculum across all levels of education, to name a few.
0-6 months: The Egg
- Building the team - full time, part time, volunteers
- Selection, induction training, and allocation of CLAP fellow to the schools and community centres
- Design arts-based content for 10% topics of Maths, EVS, Languages (Grade 1 to 3), as per the guidelines by the education board
- CLAP fellows have started bringing in our arts-based content and joyful learning culture in the classrooms
- Supporting existing educators in the launchpad schools to bring in our arts-based content and joyful learning culture
- Expert visits and field visits for CLAP fellows
- Arts-based content designed for 15% of topics (Grade 1 to 3)
- Year-end showcase by students and CLAP fellows - Deputy Commissioner of Kangra, being the chief guest
- Existing educators start bringing our offerings in their classrooms
- Commencement of community classes by CLAP fellows
- Arts-based content designed for 20% of topics
- Explore partnership possibilities with local NGOs, social organizations working in education.
- Existing educators in launchpad schools are evolving into master trainers
- Capacity building of parents and community members by CLAP fellows
- Arts-based content designed for 25% of topics.
- Explore possibilities of expanding the scope of this project with the support of state government(s), social organizations and corporate companies (CSR).
|Salary of team + 10 CLAP fellows||Research +Arts based teaching aids + Music instruments||Travel+ Field visits Expert visits Misc|
|Year 1||15 Lacs||8 Lacs||4 Lacs|
|Year 2||18 Lacs||10 Lacs||5 Lacs|
Problem Statement: Schools are crushing the free thinking and creative abilities of children
Vision: Every child remains a creator
Mission: Making culture of arts-based learning mainstream
Solution: Making classrooms livelier by bringing in our arts-based content and joyful learning culture through CLAP fellows
CLAP fellows would be the drivers of taking our offerings to children. These fellows would be young women (17-25 yrs) in villages, who would help our arts-based content and joyful learning culture reach schools, learning centers (Anganwadi, Organizations), alternative learning groups/spaces.
By 2025, through our playground, A for Arts, a residential-experimental-school-cum-training centre in Himachal Pradesh. CLAP fellows, from different states, would be enabled to establish a low-cost experimental school in their villages, to make culture of arts-based learning mainstream.
In the current landscape of innovation in primary education in India, our approach towards bringing the arts-based content and joyful learning culture in the classrooms would be the combination of work by organizations like Pratham, TFI (procedural learning) and Nalanadaway, Slam Out Loud (creative confidence).
Arts-based interventions for the students in rural India makes us unique.
Sahil Dogra is an educator and a musician. An alumnus of NSIT, Delhi, he has more than 10 years of work experience in the education sector panning from volunteering at various organizations like MAD to managing operations for Avanti Fellows in rural Bihar. Working as a BCG consultant, he got an opportunity to transform 80k public schools into model schools, with the education secretary of a state government. His experience at Kalkeri Sangeet Vidyalaya enhanced his creative confidence, and inspired him to re-imagine the education system
“Medicine, Law, Business, Engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for”