Suicide is sometimes a way for people to escape from pain or suffering. When someone ends their own life, we say that they "died by suicide." A "suicide attempt" means that someone tried to end their life, but did not die.
Above are the few news feeds which you will find every day in news portals, news papers or even in news channels and from this we can understand how seriously the problem of suicide is spreading in our society. We can conclude from these news that people are committing suicide from all the sections of society whether Farmers, Students, Businessmen, Employed, Unemployed, Educated, Uneducated, Men or Women. The problem is prevailing in all age groups as well i.e. children, teenagers, youth, mid age people or older people.The situation is even graver when we study the data globally and nationally.
International data of suicide according to World Health Organization:
- Close to 8.00.000 people die due to suicide every year.
- For every suicide there are many more people who attempt suicide every year.
- Suicide is the second leading cause of death among 15-29 year-olds.
- 79% of global suicides occur in low- and middle-income countries, like India.
- Total recorded numbers of suicides were 1.33.623. in India
- National average of suicide per lakh was 10.6.
- Causes of suicides in India :-
|Family problem||27.6||Love affairs||3.3||Drug abuse||2.7|
|Illness||15.8||Bankruptcy or indebtedness||3.3||Unemployment||2.0|
|Causes not known||12.1||Marriage related issues||4.8||Failure in examination||2.0|
State wise data of suicides reported in Madhya Pradesh, in year 2015, according to National Crime Report Bureau
- Madhya Pradesh is on 14th of rank in India in suicides.
- Average of suicide per lakh was 13.3
- Number of suicide reported in Madhya Pradesh 10293.
We are running suicide prevention helpline 1800-120-7724 with our volunteers.
The psychological studies have revealed that there are two psychological conditions in which people tend to commit suicide
- Act of Suicide is a result of sudden and extreme disturbance of emotion
- And/ or
- As result of long term disturbance of mood (Depression)
From the current experience we learnt that volunteers have certain limitations in providing 24x7 supports for the cause. A team of trained and educated mental health counselor will be required for effective implementation of the program. We are planning to start
- Suicide prevention tele-counseling center: 24x7 suicide prevention tele-counseling center will be established for suicide prevention helpline with dedicated staff
- Mobile mental health unit: Mobile Mental Unit will accompany dedicated staff for creating awareness about mental health, mental hygiene and preventive steps of suicide. The unit will also help in capacity building for early detection and ensuring help.
We are conducting programs in the various sections of the society to create awareness
Need your support for these noble cause which will save many lives from getting ruined and bring smile on many families.