Travel and Living Expenses
FOOD AND LIVING EXPENSES: $50/day i.e. $1,500 + $1,200 (Rent)
EMERGENCY EXPENSE: $500
AIRFARE DELHI TO DETROIT (round trip): $1,500
AIRFARE DELHI TO SAN-FRACISCO (round trip): $1,400
TOTAL = $6,560 or 5,08,203.20 Indian Rupee
I am an interdisciplinary designer, maker, and artist. I joined IICD (Indian Institute of Crafts and Design) in 2019 and chose HMA (hard material application) domain after one year of exploration semester. Given how unpopular design education is in India, it doesn't surprise me that I didn't have much idea about it. I come from a middle-class family in Lucknow. Choosing a career in Design was difficult as I am the only person in my family to choose this field. There was a lot to explain to get into it.
Since then, I have been engaged in the part of the design which is self-reflective, mostly contextual, related to social, communal, and cultural issues.
This is an opportunity of a lifetime for me as I am the first student from IICD who is getting to do an exchange internship with MSU. This is a pilot program under the MOU between MSU and IICD.
My experience can establish a pattern of opportunity for my juniors if I am hopefully successful in this fundraising campaign since this is a pilot program between MSU and IICD.
I have to fund raise to cover the cost of going to the USA for this Internship because it is pretty costly and no student can afford it without some sort of financial aid, this funding is not just for personal enrichment but majorly for cultural exchange in community-engaged projects where we are seeking to make a change.
In 2020, I did a self-project named “JUGAAD | Make it work“. This project is close to my heart as it involves a connection with the surroundings I have been born and brought up in, Gullies and Mohalla (streets and community). I crafted miniature dioramas based on my close observations of Indian streets that specify three different yet connected salespeople. JUGAAD is an emotion to make things work, which acts as a thread to connect them with their lifestyle. (Here is a link to my Resume and Portfoliofor reference)
- PAANI-PURI VALA (pani-puri snack vendor)
- FAL-VALA (fruit vendor)
- NAI-KI-DUKAAN (barber's shop)Recently, I met Eddie Boucher, who is an assistant professor in the Cultural and Interdisciplinary Studies Center for Integrative Studies in Social Science at Michigan State University. I articulated my interest in pursuing the topic of experience design for the IICD graduation project. Mrs. Toolika Gupta, Director of IICD who has been very supportive with the idea of interdisciplinary projects was excited. Eddie seemed interested in this, as there are many intersections with the issues that his “Roots of Community” students are pursuing in the areas of experience architecture and therapeutic spaces. Further, he discussed the key areas where I could contribute, with my skill set as a designer who is keenly interested in social issues, as a member of the “Roots of Community” team.
Further, it will be an add-on to my research-based interdisciplinary project “JUGAAD” as well. Furthermore, crafting miniature dioramas of Michigan Farmer’s Market as well to compile this entire project as one, depicting the market of both regions
HOW WILL "ROOTS OF COMMUNITY" CATER TO OTHER COMMUNITIES/HOW WILL IT HELP THE VENDORS?
- Farmer’s Market and Indian Street vendors share a lot of commonalities and highlighting this can foster a sense of empathy across cultures.
- It will help to develop meaningful relationships with vendors.
- It will be provoking thoughts about intersections of connectedness, food access, food justice, entrepreneurial barriers and opportunities, gentrification and socioeconomic diversity, environmental and cultural sustainability, and experiential design - all about farmer's markets.
- Ultimately produce a documentary film highlighting the varied challenges and benefits that farmer's markets experience.
So today, I reach out to you because I have run out of options to pay for this opportunity.
Any contribution will help, and I sincerely thank you if you can spread this campaign, move it through your networks or help in any other way. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me at email@example.com, as I would like to be as transparent as possible with this campaign and its funding request!