Why is this the need of the hour?
Then, the flood had shattered people of Kerala mentally and financially. Over 480 people were killed, several had gone missing during the worst floods in a century that also rendered lakhs homeless and dealt a severe blow to the state's economy. Effects and impact of the floods on the daily-wage farm laborers were much greater. However, they fought hard to survive and started standing on their feet again by rebuilding their lives and livelihood.
Now, due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, daily-wage farm laborers in Kerala, the same set of people who suffered most during the Kerala flood, are fast losing jobs and are unable to procure food and essential items. Many households are surviving on little or no food.
Khadija Economic Empowerment Foundation, known as KEEF, is a humble and small charity based in the southern part of India. At KEEF, we focus on creating and implementing sustainable livelihood programs for marginal farmers and farm laborers who lost their loved ones and livelihood during 2018 Kerala flood.
What are we doing?
Over the last several days, we have been reaching out to our program beneficiaries in 31 villages across Kerala and Tamil Nadu in India and it was revealed to us that they are in dire need of support.
In this light, KEEF has started operations to provide our beneficiaries, 1,052 in total, with dry ration and sanitary kits. The unit cost of one package for one beneficiary's family is Rs 2,500. KEEF also aims to provide financial hardship grant of Rs 2,500 to all of our beneficiaries.
How you can help
Your donation to this campaign will support immediate and long-term relief and recovery in vulnerable communities during one of the most challenging times we have collectively faced. The need to support the most marginalized is at its greatest and even with a small contribution you can help make sure a marginal family survives to see another day.
How your support helps
Your donation to this fund will help stop the virus's spread and give vulnerable communities the resources they need to act quickly and protect themselves. Donations are already helping to:
- Deliver essential items to struggling families
- Feed children that rely on school meals as their only source of nutrition
- Support hygiene awareness efforts
Other ways to help
Share this campaign with your family and friends who send you those chain e-mails, WhatsApp and Facebook messages for way less important reasons, and request them to consider making a donation to support KEEF.
- Each ration kit will contain a combination of food grains and pulses - wheat flour, rice, and pulses.
- Help extended by the state machinery along with KEEF’s ration kit and financial hardship grant would be sufficient to provide three meals a day for a family of 5 for one month.
- Each sanitary kit will contain masks, sanitizers and soaps to help prevent the spread of the virus.
- Our volunteers will ensure responsible distribution while ensuring 'Social Distancing' guidelines.
Email us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries.