As a golfer, I became aware of this crisis when my outdoor activities had to be restricted every year from October to December. This has grown to be a matter of grave concern for all outdoor activities, particularly sports like golf.
My campaign, Parivartan, is all about mitigating this damage with an aim to eventually bring the practice of stubble burning to an end. After a deep dive into the whole process, I finally found my answers in a tractor-mounted mechanical device called the Super Seeder which effectively serves two functions :-
- cutting the stubble and spreading it back on the soil - known as mulching
- simultaneously sowing seeds into the soil
Parivartan is a transformative journey to empower and facilitate the farmers community, in Panipat district, enabling them to adapt modern-day techniques for environmental damage control. It is a movement that harmonises the following strengths :
- procuring 'Super Seeder' machines and training farmers in their proper use as well as maintenance, in order to establish sustainable agricultural practices in the most eco-friendly manner.
- educating farmers about the benefits of Super Seeders and the damaging impact of post harvest crop-residue burning on the air pollution level as well as soil quality.
- supporting, encouraging, and guiding more farmers to shift to using Super Seeders to eliminate the practice of stubble burning.
The Super Seeder emerges as the most profitable and scalable “residue management” option as they are, on average, 30%–35% more time efficient in the sowing process, also leading to considerable savings in costs. The use of Super Seeder over conventional methods leads to a net profit gain of approximately Rs.7,500/ hectare. The financial strain by way of initial capital investment arising due to purchase of Super Seeders is the biggest deterrent that discourages farmers from going for that option . My fundraiser - Parivartan - takes away the financial burden of shifting to a Super Seeder by supporting the procurement and maintenance cost, though the ensuing savings can help in recovering those costs, but that is a slow process which doesn’t seem to interest farmers much . Expanding our network of farmers using Super Seeders will gradually reduce stubble burning fires and repair the damage that we see today.