There's been a huge explosion in the stray dog population in our area, also because of the recent heavy increase in the number of residential societies in this area
This has led to:
- Increased road accidents, dog deaths, and lifelong injuries for affected dogs
- Increased animal cruelty cases due to intolerance among residents for the ever-increasing numbers of stray dogs
- Increased dog fights leading to injuries
- Constant birth of new litters of pups
- Frequent pregnancies leading to unhealthy female dogs
- Fast spread of canine infections
- Death of young pups to disease and attacks by the many larger dogs
To address the situation, we:
- Run dog sterilization and vaccination drives every alternate week to humanely control the stray dog population.
- Provide good post-operative care and first-aid to enhance the quality of life of our community dogs.
- Feed nutritious meals to the area dogs twice a day which includes chicken, brown rice, curd, and health supplements.
- Rescue any dog in need of medical care, including road accidents, puppy deadly viral disease infections, etc.
- Place reflective collars on all sterilized dogs to safeguard them in the night from speeding vehicles.
- Help get adopted all orphaned and care-needing pups.
We typically send our community dogs to ALAI Rescues, Bengaluru, a reputed and sincere animal welfare NGO, for sterilizations and vaccinations, and long-term treatment and care when needed.
Other short-term intensive treatments are generally undertaken at Cancure Vet Hospital, Bangalore.
Following are the indicative charges:
- Per dog = INR 2880 [(Pre-sterilization bloodtest = INR 600) + (Sterilization + Rabies vaccine + post-op medical boarding and care = INR 1800) + (DHPPi vaccine = INR 480.)]
- Catching and Transportation for 10 dogs pick and drop = INR 1500
- Medical charges for the various injuries and diseases detected (if any) can vary widely, anywhere from INR 5000 - INR 70000 for an ill dog.
Sterilizations and vaccainations = INR 2880 X 100 = INR 288000
Catcher and Transportation Fee = INR 1500 X 10 = INR 15000
DHHPi vaccinations = INR 500 x 100 = INR 50000
Injury and other treatment estimates = INR 300000
We are a couple working full time in the IT industry and also undertaking these efforts alongside, completely self-funded so far, as it is unbearable to watch these innocent animals suffer since we humans have not just taken over their natural land but also turn a blind eye to their existence!
No amount is small in this effort and your contributions would be received with immense gratitude. Help us give these innocent souls a healthy and safe life on our streets. They do not ask for anything more! :)