SPIC MACAY is a non-profit and non-political movement engaged in preserving our rich and diverse cultural heritage, and propagating it amongst the youth. Run by volunteers, SPIC MACAY has been organizing events related to classical music and dance, folk art, crafts etc. through a worldwide network of government and private schools, colleges and other educational institutions since 1977. Just in the last three years more than fifteen thousand events were conducted in 700 places across the country and abroad. More than 50 lakh students, from urban and rural areas, were provided the opportunity to see and hear the most eminent artistes of our times. As part of our Vision 2020, SPIC MACAY is committed to reach out to every student of this country.
The International Convention of SPIC MACAY is an annual congregation of people from all across the world, who spend one week in a unique ashram-like atmosphere during summers. It consists of concerts and intensive workshops of classical music, dance, crafts and other art forms by great artists over seven days. This resonates with SPIC MACAY’s core purpose - have every child experience the inspiration and mysticism embodied in Indian and World heritage. The vision is to reach every child by 2020.Today, when we are poised with reaching out to every child of this country, SPIC MACAY is constrained by lack of funds. While there is a huge demand in schools and colleges, particularly those in small towns, for the programmes that we organize, and in general for cultural and holistic education, we are unable to meet the demands because of paucity of funds.
SPIC MACAY has received several recognitions for its consistent efforts in spreading awareness about our heritage.
- Awards / Recognitions received by SPIC MACAY / Dr. Kiran Seth:
- EMPI-Indian Express India Innovation Award, 2012
- Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award, 2011
- Padma Shri – by the Government of India, 2009
- Distinguished Alumnus Award by the IIT Kharagpur
- NDTV Indian of the Year Award (under Arts and Culture category), 2009
- Keshav Kothari Smriti Award, 2008
- Rotary Club, Midtown, Delhi, 2000
- Harballabh Sangeet Sammelan Award, 1995
- Sahitya Kala Parishad Award, 1988
- Sanskriti Award, 1980
In addition to the above achievements, SPIC MACAY is also on the boards of several distinguished committees.
- Central Advisory Board of Education (CABE)
- General Council of the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR)
- Executive Board of the Sangeet Natak Akademi
- Governing Body of FTII
- Executive Board of the National Culture Fund, Ministry of Culture (Govt. of India)