This is Rishab Prasad & Shivranjani Kumari from the batch of 2018-19 and Ryan Singh, from the batch of 2021-22. We are a part of a global collaboration between students who have built an emergency COVID-relief fundraiser to support marginalised communities in rural India. As the strain of the pandemic is reducing on cities, our rural communities are on the verge of collapsing. There is a parallel medical and humanitarian emergency these communities are undergoing.
So let us together get the best out of this fundraiser. Contributions as small as Rs. 100 or $10 are welcome and anything you donate will help save lives!
GO MAYO !!!!!
The crisis that has engulfed cities like Delhi and Bombay is now spreading to villages and marginalised communities across India, who have almost no access to doctors and hospitals. The difficulty of tracking the virus in these regions is being compounded by the administration’s effort to obscure the on-ground reality. Global media coverage of India’s struggle with COVID-19 is waning. However, these communities lived in a precarious state even before the pandemic began and are now suffering a humanitarian crisis in parallel with the medical emergency that has taken over the nation.
We are grateful to be hosting this fundraiser in partnership with Asia Initiatives (AI), a registered NPO in the USA and Japan. AI has partnered with 20 local non-profit organisations across India and is doing exemplary work in providing critical relief services and livelihood opportunities since the COVID-19 pandemic started. AI was founded in Tokyo by Dr. Geeta Mehta, who is currently a professor at Columbia University.
1) they work with under-served communities in non-mainstream regions of India
2) they have gained a stellar reputation for their work
3) they are currently in urgent need of support to provide their communities with COVID-relief.
We have built a detailed profile for each of these NGOs that documents the meticulous internal verification process followed by our team to select these organisations. Here, we will briefly introduce you to the NGOS we are supporting. If you would like to know more, please follow the hyperlinks below to view each organisation's detailed and bilingual (EN/JP) profile.
1. Grameen Mahila Vikas Sansthan (GMVS) works for women in rural areas of Rajasthan.
2. Impulse NGO network (INGON) reaches victims of human trafficking across eight states of North-Eastern India.
3. Parmarth Samaj Sevi Sansthan addresses the needs of deprived sections of society such as Dalit and tribal communities, and girls and women in central India.
4. The Highrange Rural Development Society (HRDS) serves tribal communities in Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat and other parts of India.
5. Samanta works alongside forest communities in Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh.
The total support we plan to provide to these 5 NGOs is ₹ 27,00,000 or $37,000. However, our goal for this fundraiser is ₹ 35,00,000 or $49,000 since we are actively searching for more NGOs that we can provide support to. If you're a NGO that wishes to get in touch or you know about an NGO that is providing COVID-relief to marginalised populations in the non-mainstream parts of India, please let us know.
If we add another NGO to our fundraiser, we will provide a campaign update and build a similar profile for them as we built for the other NGOs we are supporting.
Donate. Spread the word. Stay safe, and stay healthy.
If you would like to join our team, click here. We would love to work with you!
You can also follow campaign updates from us on our Instagram handle.