These are kids for whom school was a pass-time and quality education was just a fantasy. These are kids for whom shoes and bags are a luxury. In terms of academics and exposure, they are in no way par with this fast-moving world of ours. And that's what we aim to provide these children. The best education possible. From our experiences as part of the Fellowship in Teach for India, we have charted out an elaborate plan to make learning an even better experience for our children. We are looking to raise some funds for the same. This is where, you can help us. The time that you spent to read this, means a lot to us and our kids. It would make a world of difference to us if you can go an extra mile and help us dream a little bigger.
Kannammapet is an area located at the heart of the city of Chennai yet it’s vastly different from its neighborhood. Widely known for its colossal crematorium, the community is open to violence to an extent that it has become a habit within the community. This is the community from which hail the 96 (and more) children who we, Arun, Anand and Revathi teach as part of our fellowship with Teach for India.
The following are the things we would require for the academic year, for which we need the financial support:
- To provide and execute a sustainable morning breakfast model in school (Most of them lack proper nutrition and hence, fall sick very frequently. Health is the biggest concern)
- Drinking water at school (Lack of drinking water facilities at school)
- Help kids with eye check-up and ensure they wear spectacles (Since the parents cant afford one, it tends to be ignored most of the times)
- Painting the classroom, with ‘The Space Explorers' as a theme
- Field trips in and around Chennai for interactive learning
- A computer in school (They have no access to it anywhere)
- Projector screen for an interactive classroom
- Uniforms, shoes/chappals and schoolbags
- Learning resources: Activity books, learning aid, dictionary, assessment banks, alternate curriculum textbooks
- Board games, football and other sports equipment
- To promote the hidden talents in our classrooms
We are grateful to you for considering this campaign of ours. We would be ecstatic if you could spread word about this initiative and help us raise the required funds. You could also donate an amount you see fit for this cause if we have been able to move you enough to make an impression on our lives. Also, if you would like to support by directly helping us getting these resources and materials, do leave an email at email@example.com. We thank you in advance for your time and effort.
"Sometimes, people who have less give more! These children might not be in par with the privileged ones intellectually. But in terms of experience, and emotions, they've been through much more and worse. Ever since the day I've stepped into the school, my transformation as a person has been magical. In this short span of time, they've taught me what life is all about which I couldn't figure out in these last 25 years." ~Revathi