Ketan's Awareness ride along with Guinness World Record Attempt for the titles 'Longest Journey By Bicycle In A Single Country' Covering 50,000+ kms in 250 Days & 'Fastest to Cycle Manali-Leh Highway (Male)'
I am an endurance cyclist & a traveler from Gujarat with a keen fascination for long distance journeys on roads & mighty mountains. What keeps me going is my insatiable desire to test my mettle on the uncertain roads, the beauty of nature & coming across inspiring stories of hundreds of people I meet during the journey. Races do not interest me as I prefer to enjoy my ride along with the surroundings I pass by, & also meet new people to inspire & get inspired. Every successful journey has further solidified my longing for greater miles & higher peaks.
I have been making my contributions to the community & my country in whatever ways possible. Most of my income is contributed to others in some or the other way. I sponsor few poor individuals for medical expenses & education for talented/deserving children from poor families. Have contributed essential/required equipment to schools, colleges & hospitals. Have educated people with low cost water saving techniques for making optimal use of water resources & have also helped a few societies & educational institutions in setting these up.
So here I present my next challenge:
1: Longest Journey By Bicycle In A Single Country - World record
My big ride starting from 1st October (2017) will take me on a journey of approx. 50,000+ km covering all of India in 8-11 months. I’ll cycle through all 29 states & 5 union territories in India, covering many major & small cities/towns. I will be cycling through many types of terrains (good & bad roads, hills, mountains, deserts, etc) & weather conditions of India, including regions having Anti-National/Social & Maoist activity.
I’m doing this journey to live one of the best adventures of my life. Through this journey I wish to live the travel dreams of millions of people who for one reason or other do not dare to set out and inspire them to fulfill their dreams too by sharing my experiences. I have always dreamed of traveling the world on a cycle, but could not find time for it. After more than a year of planning I have decided to go on long cycling journey within India.
To make the most out of my journey, I will also be doing the following en-route:
- Interacting with children throughout my route, sharing my travel stories, facts about India & its rich culture, which will give them access to a better outlook for the present & future.
- Interacting with people for a United India & not be separated by religion, gender, caste or status.
- Spreading awareness to save & conserve water by sharing low cost highly effective ways to efficiently use, recycle & increase water sources.
- Will be visiting various heritage sites (popular & scarcely known) scattered across the entire geography of our heritage rich country, spreading awareness towards conservation of our rich ancient heritage & culture, and also highlighting the Beauty of India & its people.
- Will be promoting importance of Sports & Fitness all across India, sharing its multi fold benefits which will lead to development of a better society with a healthy lifestyle.
2: Fastest to Cycle Manali-Leh Highway (Male) - World record
No person has succeeded to achieve this title till now & I will attempt in the month of August (2017). I have to cycle from Manali to Leh using the Manali-Leh highway (490 km approx.) within 40 hours or less. The terrain being a mountain region & also known as the 'World's Highest Motorable Road' has partly paved roads & partly no roads, being under good as well as bad conditions. The challenge here is to cycle fast on a route with many long climbs (that would feel endless) & avoiding the chances of myself getting sick with Acute Mountain Sickness.
My Cycling Journeys & Achievements so far:
1. I have participated in few BRMs (Brevet) of 200, 300, 400 & 600 km in different cities to get experience & used to riding in different conditions (traffic, road, weather, terrain, etc) in India. Have done these without any practice & training.
2. G2G 2016: This was a challenging journey with 1,450 km cycle ride from India Gate (Delhi) to Gateway of India (Mumbai), successfully completed. This ride was also to create awareness about human trafficking and child labour. This ride was also done by me without any practice & training.
3. CAAF 500 Ultra: A challenging ride to complete 500 km (Ahmedabad-Ratanpur-Limbdi) facing head winds, climbs & chill winter under a tight cut off time.
4. A Porbandar to Somnath ride in the summer.
5. I ride solo 100-400 km whenever I have free time.
I need your support & contribution in accomplishing this feat for India and reaching out to a global audience. Every single contribution, however big or small gives me a boost in courage & confidence, because it tells me that Indians are proud to have hardworking, spirited sportsmen.
Utilisation of Funds (Estimated):
Rs 80,000 Waterproof Action camera with necessary kit (mounts, spare batteries, etc)
Rs 70,000 GPS device with necessary kit (mounts, spare batteries, etc)
Rs 5,00,000 Food
Rs 5,50,000 Stay for night halts
Rs 5,00,000 Cycle, accessories (lights, pump, etc), maintenance & spares (tyres, tubes, chain, cassette, chainwheel, etc) for whole journey
Rs 1,60,000 Pannier racks, bags (pannier, frame, handlebar, saddle bags)
Rs 10,000 Power banks (2 nos)
Rs 20,000 Rider clothing kits
Rs 10,000 Hard disks & Memory cards
Rs 1,00,000 Misc expenses (Medical supplies, oxygen cylinders for Manali-Leh, support vehicle for emergency during Manali-Leh, etc)