Coming from a theatre experience of five years, I started exposing my students to basics of performance arts, integrating values into their academics, bringing in volunteers in the classroom and creating spaces of learning for them by providing them reading materials and visual references. And I saw a wonderful shift in my kids. From someone who could not articulate their opinions, my kids started speaking up in classroom; from throwing tantrums when working with fellow classmates, I saw them working in teams, uplifting one another.
And to make sure that my kids are able to carry these shifts within themselves even after I am gone, to take initiatives independently and to create an opportunity for them, my kids and I are working towards a theatre-in-education project Kathaakar, where they will have:
1) Access to volunteers and theatre artists who will build the required 21st century skill-set in them
2) Exposure to reading materials to increase their literacy and vocabulary
3) Reflection and learning circle to build their value foundation
4) Excursions and field visits
By the end of the year, the students will be performing a one hour play, showcasing their learning and skills, in front of an estimated audience of 300+.
To make the kids take a step towards learning a skill, towards making them realize their capabilities and the world, you are the major contributor!
The money that you contribute will make sure that a child gets the opportunity to realize that no dream is small and no effort is less.
The breakdown of the total amount is:
1. Booking of an auditorium for the final performance: 35,000
2. Technical support (including lights, sound system, stage management): 20,000
3. Travel expenses of the volunteers (2 times a week for 4 months): (32 days*100 rupees each day) for two people= 6400
4. Costumes for final performance for 65 students (including tailoring): 20,000
5. Props for the stage: 8,000
6. Two meals for 65 kids for two days during final rehearsals: 65*120 for two days= 7800
7. Printing of scripts and reading materials for kids: 150*65=9750
8. Indirect costs including phone & internet bills, first aid kit, toiletries and other overheads: 10,000
9. Performance day: Food, supplies, travel, make-up, logistics: 10,000