Assam, Bihar, Nepal & West Bengal state reels under unprecedented flooding.
Three rivers Mechi, Mahananda and Kankai pass through Kishangunj, bringing flood waters at regular intervals."
West BengalNorthern districts of West Bengal are under flood. As of now flood water is increasing in Dakshin Dinajpur,Uttar Dinajpur and Part of Malda District.
- Cause of Floods in the Jalpaiguri, Alipur Duar and Cooch Behar districts is due to the excessive rainfall inthe catchment areas of the Torsa and Raidak-I&II between 9th to 14th August.
- Cause of Floods in the three districts of Uttar Dinajpur, Dakshin Dinajpur and lately in Malda is due tothe excessive rainfall in the catchment areas of Kosi River Basin and the Mahananda River Basin whichled to the confluence of these two river basins causing unprecedented floods in North Bihar and in thesethree districts from 12th August
- Following rivers have caused extensive damage: Fulhar River, (.71m above EDL), Atreyee River (0.2mabove EDL) and Teljana (.2m above EDL)"Villages after villages have been washed away,
Present Situation West Bengal
- Population affected : 44,21,996
- Number of human lives lost – 32 (Drowning- 30, Snake Bite- 2)
- Number of cattle livestock lost/ perished - 104 (Assessment is going on)
- Cropped area affected (in hect.) - 293770.790 (Assessment is going on)
- Number of houses - Fully (59288) Partly (141606)
- Number of Relief Camps opened – 1155
- Persons in Relief Camps – 2,74,901
- Relief materials dispatched: Tarpaulins – 1.8 lakh, Rice – 1900 MT, Contingency – Rs. 2.05 crore, Disaster
Management kits – 15000, Chira – 10 MT, Gur – 2.5 MT and Baby Food – 2MT.
- Transportation is being provided to the stranded passengers at Malda station to reach the Dalkhola
station where two special trains from Dalkhola are being run to Gauhati daily at 6:30 hours and 6:00 pm.
- In Uttar Dinajpur and Dakshin Dinajpur district – voluntary organizations are trying to provide hot
cooked meal among the flood victims with their limited resource though need is very high.
- Due to no road and rail communication most of the areas remain cut off.
- In affected areas Schools are not functional
We are trying to get quality food and other essentials to those stranded in the worst affected Eastern States because of floods.