“She stopped breathing in my arms and fell unconscious. We rushed her to the hospital, but they turned us away. They said our baby will not survive and that we should take her back home.” – Yakub, father
Ruksana and Yakub were turned away from many hospitals, but they did not give up. They took 8-month-old Sheza to Surya hospital where she was immediately admitted to the PICU and placed on ventilator support. She has severe pneumonia. It’s been 15 days since that fateful day, and baby Sheza continues to fight.
Her sisters are waiting for her to come back homeSheza’s older sisters, Rida and Shifa are waiting for her to come back home. In the past two weeks, they were able to see her only once for two minutes since she’s so susceptible to even small infections. It’s been 3 days since baby Sheza has opened her eyes and has been off ventilator support, but her life is still in danger.
Sheza with her older sister
“She cries all day long, I can’t move away from her for even a second. My two daughters are waiting for us to come back home. I haven’t gone home in 15 days, and my husband hardly gets to see them. They need us too, but both of us have to stay in the hospital.” – Ruksana, mother
Their friends and relatives have come forward to help them, but it’s not enoughNot only has Yakub not gone home for more than a few minutes, but he has also missed two weeks of work. Yakub works as a tailor in a small shop in Mumbai and earns Rs. 6,000 per month. When Sheza was admitted to the PICU, he had no other option but to borrow from everyone he knew.
“Relatives, neighbours, friends… everyone tried to help us as much as they could. Some gave us 1000,2000 rupees, and I was able to collect 70,000. I can’t arrange for more than that. The daily expenses itself are 30,000 and the bills are only piling up.” - Yakub
Baby Sheza fought against all odds to make it this far. She needs to stay in the PICU for one more week to recover, but her parents have exhausted all their means to continue her treatment and can't afford the 5 lakhs needed. After coming this far, they will be forced to stop her treatment if they don’t get help soon.
Baby Sheza needs your help to survive this disease and go back home to her sisters.
The specifics of this case have been verified by the medical team at the concerned hospital. For any clarification on the treatment or associated costs, contact the campaign organizer or the medical team.
Click here to save Sheza