Transform Their Lives With Code (#5000Strong - 5000 Girls Code, 2020) | Milaap
Transform Their Lives With Code (#5000Strong - 5000 Girls Code, 2020)
22%
Raised
$3,707
of $15,000
42 supporters
  • Gyanada

    Created by

    Gyanada Foundation
  • GF

    This fundraiser will benefit

    Gyanada Foundation Limited

    from Mumbai & Singapore

80G tax benefits for INR donations



Where Ideas Take Shape
Young children are naturally creative and curious about the world. We know this first hand: we've worked with more than 100 girls in India in the last 4 years, providing scholarships to them in 5 cities around the country.

The Birth of Gyanada Labs
While visiting a girl's family in an urban slum, her parents asked us: can you teach her how to be better with a computer? I don't know anything about it, but I know it will help her.

We didn't want yet another coding workshop, we wanted to build a program that would help our girls in tangible ways.

In Dec 2015, we carried out an electronics bootcamp for our children in Ranchi. Feedback from the kids: "I don't have any lights in my home. When I grow up, I want to build one for my family. Now I know how."

In late 2016 to mid 2017, we ran our coding pilot program. We taught girls in Mumbai how to code in Scratch. Feedback from the kids: "I want to teach all my friends how to code on Scratch so that we can play games."

Read a recap of the coding program: from Sep 2016, Mar 2017, to Sep 2017. You can also read what our volunteers thought about it here.

Help Them Dream Big
Our team has worked hard to pilot the Scratch coding class this year. Our girls have worked even harder. Every weekend, they come to class wide-eyed and excited about the opportunity to learn something new. Even the regular access to computers alone plays a big role in their learning about the digital world.

Gyanada's brand new program to engage girls and equip them with coding skills is called The Binary Story. It's not just about learning to code, it's about learning to create, so that you can make a place for yourself in the world.

How We Will Use the Funds

We need to raise US$15 000 to run both Gyanada Scholars and Gyanada Labs. Give any amount!

70% goes to the scholarships fund, directly paying for the first half of >100 girls' education for the year. In Jan 2017, we will run another campaign to pay for the remainder 30% + half of the next school year's fees.

20% goes to our Gyanada Labs general fund. We need computers, teachers, materials, transportation for our kids, and other costs. US$3000 isn't much elsewhere, but we can at least get our program going before we crowdfund the rest / work with individual and corporate sponsors for it.

10% goes to our admin fund. There are accounting and other compliance costs involved in running non-profit in two countries (Singapore entity raises funds from international donors). Only full time and contract employees (we have 3 now, all in India) get a salary. All the founders of Gyanada contribute time and expertise with no pay or payouts.

What You Will Get!

Give any amount of course, but this is what we can do to show you our eternal gratitude.

US$10 / INR 700 - Shoutout on social media

US$50 / INR 3250 - Shoutout on social media + electronic thank you card from our kids

US$99 / INR 6500 - Shoutout on social media + physical thank you card from our kids, mailed to your home / office address in India (+$5 for international addresses)

US$259 / INR 17 500 - Shoutout on social media + physical thank you card from our kids, mailed to your home / office address in India (+$5 for international addresses) + a Kindle or paperback copy of "Poor Economics: A Radical Rethinking of the Way to Fight Global Poverty" (paperback only for India residents, Kindle for international contributors. Here is Bill Gates' review of it.)

More than $500: all of the above + our eternal love and gratitude + free 30 min consultation with any Gyanada founder on "how to start a non-profit" or "stories on the ground" or any topic pertaining to India / non-profit / NGO of your choice

Read More

Know a similar organisation in need of funds? Refer an NGO
support