We are Siow and Munirah, two twenty something year olds, constantly frustrated by the uncontrolled realities of the Covid-19 pandemic and the devastation it has caused to marginalised communities, whilst hoping to make a difference in this seemingly bleak world within our own capacity. But a few days ago, we had the privilege of discovering Tokyo for India through a dear friend who helped us put our hopes into motion. Through this fundraising campaign, people from across the world like you and us could lend a hand in alleviating the dire Covid-19 crisis throughout rural India. With your donation however big or small, actual changes can be made to those who are in desperate need of humanitarian assistance in the form of medical supplies, daily sustenance as well as access to tenable Covid-19 relief. Join our mission and let us stand in solidarity with the marginalised community in rural India.
The crisis that has engulfed cities like Delhi and Bombay is now spreading to villages and marginalised communities across India, who have almost no access to doctors and hospitals. The difficulty of tracking the virus in these regions is being compounded by the administration’s effort to obscure the on-ground reality. Global media coverage of India’s struggle with COVID-19 is waning. However, these communities lived in a precarious state even before the pandemic began and are now suffering a humanitarian crisis in parallel with the medical emergency that has taken over the nation.
We are grateful to be hosting this fundraiser in partnership with Asia Initiatives (AI), a registered NPO in the USA and Japan. AI has partnered with 20 local non-profit organisations across India and is doing exemplary work in providing critical relief services and livelihood opportunities since the COVID-19 pandemic started. AI was founded in Tokyo by Dr. Geeta Mehta, who is currently a professor at Columbia University.
1) they work with under-served communities in non-mainstream regions of India
2) they have gained a stellar reputation for their work
3) they are currently in urgent need of support to provide their communities with COVID-relief.
We have built a detailed profile for each of these NGOs that documents the meticulous internal verification process followed by our team to select these organisations. Here, we will briefly introduce you to the NGOS we are supporting. If you would like to know more, please follow the hyperlinks below to view each organisation's detailed and bilingual (EN/JP) profile.
1. Grameen Mahila Vikas Sansthan (GMVS) works for women in rural areas of Rajasthan.
2. Impulse NGO network (INGON) reaches victims of human trafficking across eight states of North-Eastern India.
3. Parmarth Samaj Sevi Sansthan addresses the needs of deprived sections of society such as Dalit and tribal communities, and girls and women in central India.
4. The Highrange Rural Development Society (HRDS) serves tribal communities in Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat and other parts of India.
5. Samanta works alongside forest communities in Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh.
The total support we plan to provide to these 5 NGOs is ₹ 27,00,000 or $37,000. However, our goal for this fundraiser is ₹ 35,00,000 or $49,000 since we are actively searching for more NGOs that we can provide support to. If you're a NGO that wishes to get in touch or you know about an NGO that is providing COVID-relief to marginalised populations in the non-mainstream parts of India, please let us know.
If we add another NGO to our fundraiser, we will provide a campaign update and build a similar profile for them as we built for the other NGOs we are supporting.
Donate. Spread the word. Stay safe, and stay healthy.
If you would like to join our team, click here. We would love to work with you!
You can also follow campaign updates from us on our Instagram handle.