Lung Transplant - COVID-19 : Help me save my mother! | Milaap
Lung Transplant - COVID-19 : Help me save my mother!
of Rs.50,00,000
23 supporters
  • CG

    Created by

    Chiresh Gundappa
  • UH

    This fundraiser will benefit

    Umavathi H

    from Bengaluru, Karnataka

Who you are ?
I am Chiresh Gundappa and I work for Amazon. I want to save my mother and I need your help! I am raising this for the ECMO, Lung Transplantation, and critical care because she is at the weakest point and the process of recovery will be really slow(6 months to a year).
Where are you?
Located in Seattle Washington USA, but visiting my mother in India.
Your relationship to the parties you’re raising funds for?
My mother Umavathi H.
The Why?

Lung transplantation for my mother. My mother tested Covid-19 positive on 25th of April 2021. She is battling for her life till now. I need to raise this goal as early as possible. 
Timeline & Story
With gratitude and humility, I welcome you all to my page. I have a timeline for quick readers and detailed version for story readers.
27th April - She was rushed to hospital as oxygen dropped to 80.
28th April - CT scan of score 16/25. CORADS 5.
29th April - Search for Remdesivir starts. We administered 11 until the 9th of May.
1st May - Oxygen dropped to 60.
2nd May - Search for Itolizumab and Baricitinib starts. We administered Itolizumab and Baricitinib. Her lungs had 65% infection.
7th May - Moved to a ventilator as her oxygen dropped to 60.
9th May - Search for Plasma donor starts. We administered 2 units of Plasma.
10th May - By now she had completed 4-5 sessions of Physiotherapy.
11th May - Search for a hospital that has ECMO starts.
12th - 14th - Hospitals declined moving, as her oxygen kept dropping to 55-60.
15th May - Signs of improvement on X-ray reports. Her lungs looked lot better, may be about 40% clear from infection.
3rd June - Moved her out of ventilator to an isolation ward as she maintained a consistent oxygen level at 88.
5th June - Oxygen drops to 55. Moved her back to a ventilator. Administered (RTPA) to diffuse blood clots.
16th June - Took a leap to move her to a better hospital for further treatment.
18th June - Intubation starts.
22nd June - Suggestion for Lung Transplantation starts.
25th June - Administered ECMO.
The Ask?
I have exhausted all the money that I had, to save her. A whole of me wants her, a part of her wants to see us grow with her. She is conveying this through her will power. Here I am making a request to you all to help me give her life back.
 I know money is a concern, but even a $ helps me get closer to my goal.
I need to raise this goal the earliest as I have started the Lung Transplant registration process.
I hope my timeline and story helps people to understand the process for COVID-19. I don't wish anybody to go through what I and my family are going through at the moment. Stay SAFE!!
APRIL-This story is about my mother. On 27th, my mother was admitted to the hospital as her oxygen dropped to 80. We somehow managed to get a bed with oxygen cylinder at Sanjeevini hospital. As India was hit with the second wave and was at its peak with Delta Variant, there was a huge crisis for beds, oxygen cylinders, Plasma, and all COVID related medications were banned by the government such as Remdesivir, Baricitinib, Tocilizumab. The only way of getting these medicines were to register the patient's information with the Government, and the hospital would receive it based on the requests. Her lungs were infected with CT scan of score 16/25 on the day of admission. The last week of April, we started to administer Remdesivir. 
MAY  - On the 1st of May, her oxygen dropped to 60, we administered Itolizumab, and Baricitinib for 3 days. Her lungs X-ray report was now filled with infection about 65%. On 7th, she was moved to a ventilator as her oxygen dropped to 60. On the 9th, we started looking for Plasma donors, called all the blood banks, “If you have a donor bring her/him, we will exchange with the Plasma”, we failed the if condition. Hence we found male donors through contacts and NGO’s. We needed 2 units, that makes it to 2 donors. X-ray reported 80% infection by 11th May. We had by now administered, 11 Remdesivir, 1 Itolizumab, 7 Baricitinib, 2 units of plasma, 4-5 sessions of physiotherapy, some steroids and antibiotics, and blood thinners. In between these days, she hit oxygen levels of 20-25, more leaning towards cardiac arrests. We started looking for hospitals with ECMO. Aster was the only hospital willing to take my mother, since her oxygen saturation was intermittent. Both the hospitals gave us heads up that moving is going to be difficult and impossible without intubation. Sanjeevini had declined to move her if after Intubation. Aster was not willing to accept her without intubation. The only middle ground was to wait for her to maintain oxygen level up to 90. 15th of May, her X-ray reports show signs of improvement. We were relieved after a month of battling with her oxygen levels. A ray of hope.
JUNE - On the 3rd June, she was finally moved out of ICU to an isolation ward, I was with her through out and she was relieved too. 2 days in the ward and her oxygen dropped to 55 and moved her back to ICU with ventilator. Blood clots were the only reason the Doctors found. On the 5th of June, administered Recombinant Tissue Plasminogen Activator, with 24 hrs risk of internal bleeding or stroke. There were neither complications nor improvements. Her oxygen level was at 88-91, but would drop usually once a day. We finally decided to take the leap in moving her to another hospital. The move happened successfully on the 16th of June. They tried prone positioning for 10 hrs on the first day of admission. They did intubation on the 18th. They suggested Lung Transplantation on the 22nd. On 25th June, they were administering ECMO, and I donated blood for her and I felt my life came a full circle since it was my birthday. The whole world has come down at me at the moment, but I have no emotions left to drain me anymore. I have all the courage to keep trying to bring her back to life. I Thank all the hospital Staff & Doctors at Sanjeevini to have treated my mother to the best they can during her stay there. 

Read More

Know someone in need of funds for a medical emergency? Refer to us