Fuelling up the existing handicaps is the tribals’ lack of awareness’ on health issues, medical facilities logistically faraway, lack of emergency transportation, lack of commutable roads.
Malnutrition, is the most common health problem among the tribals. They also suffer from communicable diseases such as tuberculosis and malaria. Some tribal groups are also at high risk for sickle cell anemia. Generally tribal diets are seen to be deficient in protein, iron, iodine, and vitamins.
Well aware of the plight of the tribals ECOMWEL!!! A non-profit organization exempted from Income Tax under Sec 80 G take Health to the Tribals of Jawadhu Hills. Periodic health training and general health and eye camps cum awareness program on health related aspects are organized by Ecomwel jointly with the local private and government hospitals for more than 40tribal villages of Jawadhu Hills,. More than 200 tribals got screened in the camp for various ailments’ like cold, cough, fever and other ailments and medicines were prescribed to them.
- 60 people were operated for cataract.
- People were sensitized to unlearn superstitions regarding health issues.
- People were sensitized on personal & community hygiene and eating healthy.
- 30 women from the villages and SHG leaders got trained in health activities, schemes of the government and Herbal Medicine Treatment.
- Ecomwel helped the people set up an Herbal Medicine Garden.
- Advocated in the Gram Sabha to provide Nilavembu Syrup for cure & prevention of Dengue.
- Constantly making it clear to the community of the targeted villages’ to make use of the toilets.