This pandemic has proved to be more fatal towards the marginalized communities, among whom the transgender community is facing a more catastrophic situation. This community was already on the brink of vulnerability and invisibility as most of them earned their basic income through their daily occupation and this daily flow of income solely on which they survive has been put at risk due to this calamity.
Above that, there are several people who face discrimination, violence in families, molestation and several other atrocities that we can’t even imagine.
Among the gender minorities, Gender Assigned females at birth (transmen/transmasculine persons) are the most marginalized and excluded communities in India. The community's issues are far different than the male-born sexual and gender minorities and have been provided with very little focus in the national and state policies.
The organization is currently implementing the following activities-
- Advocacy with the government to ensure attention and accommodate under the social security schemes. Inclusion of transmen requirements under the state TG policy
- Community Education on SRS/Gender Affirmation Procedures and Hormone therapy
- Public awareness and sensitisation of law enforcement agencies
- Networking and alliance building with other transmen groups, progressive movements and supportive rights organisations.
- Most people of the transgender community are not accepted by their family members and they are thrown out of their houses, they become homeless with no food or shelter.
- The people of the Transgender Community lack government-issued identity cards, the reason for which they are denied every social benefit.
- Most of the time the community faces discrimination in workplaces which breaks them down mentally and emotionally and due to the pandemic most people have lost their jobs which were their source of income.
- Daily earners like food stall workers, drivers have lost their way to earn daily wages and have no money even to buy food to fill their stomachs.
- Most trans-persons live in isolation and it is difficult for them to access support from nearby people/NGOs or access any other kind of social support system.
Another transman (name changed) Shiv From Hyderabad. He ran away from his home when he told about himself in the family, he was beaten up, was put under the lock and was harassed to live and behave like a girl. He somehow escaped from the home and contacted us. We provided him support legally and financially to stabilize him. Now he is working as a staff in a fitness centre.
These are some common stories among the Transgender Community. We as an organisation want to create a sustainable solution and support system for our Transmen in Hyderabad.
We want to Start a Community Shelter Home CUM Skill Development Centre so that people in crisis can come here and live until they find a job and can live a life with dignity. We also want to start a helpline number which is available for all India Groups so that people in crisis can contact us and support can be provided urgently.
We are a small organisation and we just have started working, we have proved ourselves without any monetary support. Now for supporting our community we want to bring sustainable and feasible solutions. For this, we are in need of funds and support from all of you to come forward and support this important cause.
I am a Kiran Nayak B Transmen with a disability with several communities of marginalized people, a transgender activist and artist from Karnataka in India. Through our organization, STAR started In 2019, I intend to use these funds to help the transman community who desperately need your help now.
We seek your generosity during these trying times. Each donation, irrespective of the amount, means a lot to this community struggling for sustenance during these unprecedented times.
Sr No Support Needed Monthly Yearly Total for 2 Years
support per person 2500 30000 60000
3. Emergency/crisis support helpline 3000 36000 72000
4. Skill Development Support 4000 48000 96000
5. Administrative Support 5000 60000 1,20,000
Total 17,500/ 2,40,000 4,80,000
Contact us for Any More Information