Realizing the need for the renewal of post Jai Prakash Narayan Gandhian movement Rajiv Vora charted his own path by deeper study of Gandhi simultaneously conducting experiments in non violence in hard areas of violent radicalization to bridge the gap between theory and practice and to test his own understanding of Gandhi. He and his life companion Dr. Niru Vora came out with a contemporary reinterpretation of Gandhi’s dialogue with the then “school of violence”, his manifesto Hind Swaraj, 1909.
In this period of 12 years they invested all their time, energy and personal resources to prove the efficacy of nonviolence as it was for them a pilgrimage rather than a project, supported by handful of friends and well-wishers including HH the Dalai Lama Trust, and developed Swaraj Peeth as a laboratory of nonviolence. As part of the experiment Swaraj Peeth :
- Conducted 115+ one to four-day Hind Swaraj dialogues and training in nonviolence
- Trained 200+ community based nonviolent peace makers,Gandhi Shanti Sainiks, in Bihar and Jammu & Kashmir.
- Focused on youth radicalization; rapprochement between estranged Kashmiri Muslim and Kashmiri Pandit; inter-region, inter-community inter-ethnic confidence building measures. In Kashmir where Gandhi’s name and nonviolence invited derision, suspicion and mistrust, there is a now a strong nonviolence constituency of well known former radical youth leaders, scholars, writers, journalists, activists. Conducted several vital dialogues with powers in Delhi and separatist leaders in J&K.
- By consistent frequent visits over the years with love and compassion in the jungles of Banka and Jamui hard core Naxalite area of Bihar , putting himself to high vulnerability by conducting dialogues and camps where Naxals used to hold theirs, he converted to nonviolence well known Naxalite Area Commanders along with their dedicated following of more than 200. In 2016 Panchayat elections in this area out of 22 panchayats 18 elected those, including 6 women, who conducted nonviolence campaign.
- Between 2014 – 20 Gandhi Shanti Sainiks resolved 40+ cases of violent conflicts involving issues of caste, land, social and communal disharmony.
COVID SITUATION: In the month of April, both husband and wife got covid positive and went through
multiple complications. While they have been recovering, all the small savings they had has dried up. While Rajiv ji, intends to resume his work but doctors have advised him and his wife complete rest as there is huge risk of a rebound which might be threatening to their life, especially his wife Neeru ji. Hence, he is not in a position to support himself financially.
In order to sustain for the next 12 months and resume his work, he needs a monthly support of Rs 60000/-.The money will be used towards:
2.Resuming working of Swaraj Peeth .