Benefit and Impact: This intervention at Paniya subcenter will benefit approximately 500 eligible couples with a population of 3600 people from 11 villages. It will complement the training of all the 11 ANMs (Auxiliary Nurse Midwives) of Pati Block of the district.
It will build a prototype for development of subcenters of the entire district as ideal delivery points over next 3 years.
Problems in current Sub-Centres:
- Lack of building infrastructure, trained staff, electricity, water, medical supplies.etc.
- Due to lack of transport, difficult terrain, pregnant mothers are unable to reach health care workers on time, leading to high mortality both in pregnant mothers and un-born babies. The care needed for a mother both before and after delivery is not made available to a mother.
Solution: Developing Paniya Subcenter as a Model Delivery Point:
- Renovation of the Labour room, ANM room.
- Essential equipment and supplies related gap filling.
- Training of ANMs on antenatal care, birth preparedness, identification of high-risk pregnancies and danger signs in pregnancy, timely referral, resuscitation and care of the new-born child.
- Improving reporting and data management skills
- Building linkages between community and services
- Employing a midwife, a multipurpose worker and a cleaner for a period of 2 years, who would be later taken on under government employment.