I believe it is my responsibility to aid and assist them in any way I can. Unfortunately, I do not possess the adequate financial ability to do so. With your kind donations, I plan to provide 500 people each with an emergency kit worth Rs. 600/-, which would contain:
- Sanitary and hygiene supplies, especially for the most vulnerable groups of women and children including sanitary napkins, soaps and washable-cloth masks. (I will forever be indebted to their kindness especially, as they have welcomed me into their lives, allowed me food and shelter and have permitted me into their everyday)
- Basic medicines (paracetamol, tinidazole/norfloxacin, domperidone/omeprazole)
- Standard liquid water purifier (Zeoline-200)
- Waterproof plastic sheets that may be used for any number of purposes including temporary roofing, floor protection in mud huts, safeguarding of essentials, etc.
- Dry foodstuffs (onions, potatoes, tomatoes, semolina, lentils, soybean, powdered milk, biscuits, sugar, salt) matchboxes and cooking oil.
With the remaining funds, estimated at approximately Rs. 40,000/-, I aim to help them rent diesel-run generators that will suffice the loss of solar panels and broken power transmission towers, pump out saline water to arrest the aridity of land resulting from inundation, and provide for basic minimum daily electricity consumption. Additionally, since deep tube wells are partially-submerged and contaminated (and hence, unusable), the generator would also help run the local water-purification facilities, bettering the distribution of drinking water.
I understand that this minuscule effort will not carve an enduring transformation of the lives in these perennially quicksilver landscapes, but we will be able to rest in certainty that for at least three days, these 500 individuals would want for less than they are now.
Received images and videos from friends who have witnessed the devastation on these unmoored islands (updates from the last five days):
I will be posting updates regularly about the campaign and the allocation of the funds, as they continue to benefit the inhabitants. If you have any queries, or need further information, please contact me on: