Nowadays, it seems that ‘quality education is only the cup of tea of rich people or who lives in cities. It is far behind the reach of people who lives in rural areas or are poverty-stricken. Poor quality education, one of the major problems in our country, leads to poor learning outcomes, ultimately pushing children out of the education system and leaving them vulnerable to child labor, abuse, and violence. In states like Jharkhand with a large number of ST, SC, and Minority communities, the situation is even worst.
To bridge this gap between the high-quality education and underprivileged child, we have laid the foundation of this mission-Ek Ummid.
Vision: To help deprived children realizing their full potential through quality education by focusing on solutions than on problems.
Mission: To reach to a maximum number of underprivileged children through offline/online mode and to bring sustainable changes in their lives.
Objective: Our main aim is to take the spark of education to the far-flung areas and imparting quality education to most disadvantaged, victimized, and marginalized children by a unique educational intervention primarily to include support for infrastructure such as classrooms, libraries, providing learning aids, promoting socially meaningful curriculum development and child-centered joyful learning techniques.
We firmly believe that there is no shortage of talent in our rural areas. If they can be availed proper guidance, the right resources, and regular motivation, the lives of every child and their families can be transformed. A little spark can illuminate many dark huts.
Our Present Work
Ek Ummid got registered under the Jharkhand Government society act on March 03, 2021. Our registration number is 2021/RAN/1594/BK4/179. Immediately in a month, our first center was inaugurated by MLA shri Samri Lal in the Konge village, Kanke dam area, Ranchi, on April 01, 2021. In that center, we, fortunately got 85 students where Number of students from class 2nd to 5th- approx. 50 to 55 Number of students from class 6th to 9th- approx. 30 to 35
But we could manage to get only one classroom, so we called senior students of class 6th to 9th from Monday to Friday. Furthermore, we divided this into two groups-class 6-7 and class 8-9. Classes were conducted from 2:00 pm to 3:00pm for one group and 3:00pm to 4:00pm for another. To keep connected, we also called children of class 2 to 5 on Saturday for 1.5 hours. We utilized Sunday to organize extra-curricular activities like singing, dancing, painting, yoga, etc. for every child of all the classes to imbibe an ambiance of joyful learning as aim for.
Online Mode: Because of the increased rate of the Covid-19, we soon had to stop the offline classes and but to keep the spark of children alive, we switched to online mode and started teaching the students through Google Meet (as it runs better even in a low network). But soon we realized several problems in the online mode. For an instance,
- Unavailability/Inaccessibility of android phones to children.
- Inefficiency in the operating phone for an online class, if available.
- No or limited internet facility or very slow network.
- Meagre income for regular internet data recharge.
- Limited space in the home as there is hardly one or two rooms in it for the whole family members.
Due to limited resources, only around 20 to 25 students are currently attending the online classes for class 7th to 9th, and around 15 to 20 students from class 10 are joining on the regular basis. For them, we have divided the schedule as:
For 7th to 9th class-two classes of different subjects per day from 5:30pm to 7:00pm.
For 10th class-one class per day from 6:00pm to 7:00pm.
To keep update the children with the current time, we have also included one subject related to research and technology on their level.
Recently, we have also started the online class for 1th and 12th Science students. Surprisingly, 20 students registered for the class on the first day with the hope of increasing having more students in the coming days.
Education is not something limited to curriculum books but something beyond. So, we primarily focus on the overall improvement of each student. We try to teach the students in such a manner that can sharpen the thinking ability, flourish creativity and problem-solving skills. We also focus on developing the imagination capacity of children. Since every child is unique and different from the other with respect to their interests and talent, we also attempt to nurture the spirit of curiosity in them so that they can pursue their interest in the future.
It’s an era of technology. So, we focus on utilizing modern teaching techniques to make students aware of the practical side of what they learn in the book. We also focus to organize various science fests, project presentations/competitions, career counseling sessions, invite reputed personalities of different fields for interactive sessions with the children, etc.
Based on vision, objective and teaching methodology, following are the main points we have decided to work on in coming days:
- Proper Environment: One needs a proper environment for the sound study. To provide this, we have planned to set a library equipped with all kinds of books, the internet, and computers. Here children can sit till late at night and can make use of the time in a more efficient way. We are also planning to install a projector and a screen with an internet facility to connect with those mentors/personalities, from all across the globe, who are unable to come to our center with all of our students.
- Proper Guideline: Right directions are very important for a better future. We are planning to arrange talks by various personalities something in their life through their hard work. We have also planned to organize career counseling sessions to motivate our children. This will give a clear understanding to them of what to do, when to do and how to do.
- Proper Resources: Without proper resources, one cannot do much more. Resources can be in online mode or in offline mode. We are developing our own study material for each class in a scientific way. These materials will be available to each of our students and in the library too. We are also committed to providing all necessary equipment related to education.
- Motivation: Without motivation, one cannot achieve their goals. It can be done by organizing various programs such as science projects, competitions on writing, singing, dancing, yoga, etc. For this, our mentors are very excited and all of them will connect to our students from time to time through online mode.
- Center Extension: We are willing to provide our services in the whole of Jharkhand especially in remote areas where the educational situation is at its lowest level. We have selected Peterwar ( Bokaro) as our next center. Here we have already taken the permission, in writing, from BEO of that block to use the government school classroom for our purpose. After the situation gets better from Covid-19, we are hopeful to start this center as soon as possible.
Till now, we don’t have any external funding. All the members and all our mentors are contributing personally to make sure that work must go on. For this, we are also seeking help from the government or from any other agencies so as to reach out to maximum beneficiaries in less time.