This program was initiated by Vivek Vijayakumaran
(artistic director, Our Theatre) with a vision to bring in the required seriousness, rigour and discipline towards ‘training’ among young and upcoming actors in Bangalore.
- Vivek’s training includes two years of Playback Theatre .A workshop at Adishakti Theatre Arts Laboratory(Pondicherry)
- Brief training at the Attakkalari Centre for Movement Arts and the Kalari Academy of Performing Arts in Contemporary dance and Kalaripayattu (Martial Art)
- Trained for over 2 years in Kutiyattam (Classic Sanskrit Theatre) with Shri Sooraj Nambiar and with Shri Venu G in Navarasas.
- Masterclass with Shri Kanhailal ji and Sabitri ji at Kalakshetra (Manipur) .Trained with Anmol Vellani on Voice and Text.
Participated in a national conference on alternative education methodologies organized by the learning network in West Bengal (2008)
Recipient of the Inlaks India Theatre Award-2012 .
His latest work BHIMA has been performed across India to much appreciation and acclaim (since 2015) , including at an international festival in Colombo(2016) and was featured as one of the 10 best plays at META 2017
(Mahindra Excellence in Theatre Awards) with 7 nominations and 1 win .
Review - Interview
(Oct ,2015 issue) as as one of the 12 theatre practitioners who are pushing boundaries and innovating in India today.
- Physical training
- Exploration of the Navarasas
- Discovery, reading & performances of classic & contemporary plays
- Weekly discussions of socio-political issues.
We have had 2 public performances (not ticketed) of a play till date and received tremendous response.
We aspire to create a full-fledged production with all the participants to culminate this program, which hopefully will live up to the standards of performance we see in Indian theatre today.Any contribution will go a long way in inspiring the spirit of this program and its participants.
We have 6 participants in this program; Poorvi Sardar, Abhishek Chauhan, Abhitej Gupta, Rahul Thomas, Aravind Ratheesh, and Aditya Nair. They put in a minimum of 40 hours of work per week.
We are seeking financial support for the following
- Production budget - includes honarary payments to all collaborators (2,00,000/-).
- To hire different ‘work-spaces/studios’ (70,000/-).
- To partially support the participants (some just starting out as full time theatre artists) (60,000/-).
Please feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com for any queries or questions that you may have.