What was meant to be an exercise to understand the demographic of these students and parents to gauge the challenges in these communities, shed light on a much bigger problem :
- 67.4% of women have only 1 person in their circle with whom they can share their problems.
- 76.7% of women say they feel lonely when they are sad/stressed.
- 81.4% of women are not able to perform banking operations on their own.
- 67.4% of women do not make any personal bank savings.
However, our data also shows that at least 70% of these women want to have more responsibility in managing household finances, to have an ecosystem of support around them, and also to learn some basic English.
What is Noor?
Noor - a Teach For India incubated initiative launched in the year 2020 by a group of Teach For India fellows aims to create a sustainable community of empowered women with a renewed sense of individual and social identity.
The collective is working to equip women of low-income communities in Delhi with skills of English Literacy, Financial Literacy and also provide them opportunities to create a community-based ecosystem of Mental Health Awareness and support.
Noor has collaborated with :
- Expressive Arts Therapy Practitioner, Rennet Attri, and Tanvi Patil to develop an Expressive Arts curriculum, facilitate spaces for catharsis, and design resources and tool kits for women to navigate their emotions and develop an emotional vocabulary.
- Finance Educator C.A. Sanchit Jain to create and deliver a contextualized Financial Literacy module that is enabling women to hone skills and knowledge of budgeting, saving, and investing.
- A group of Teach For India fellows to execute English Literacy sessions.
Our data says :
- In 6 months, the number of women making household savings has increased by 23%.
- In 6 months, the number of women agreeing to have a community of support around them has increased by 22%.
- In 6 months, the number of women being able to perform banking operations has increased by 48%.
Listen more from her about her experience with Noor :
Why do we need your support?
We have set a target amount of INR 1.5 Lakh primarily to cover costs of :
- Facilitation fees charged by our expressive arts practitioners.
- Learning resources for the women ranging from notebooks and stationery to practice handouts and printed materials.
- Miscellaneous resources like certificates and tokens.
Contact Us @ firstname.lastname@example.org