Sangini - Empower women in rural India | Milaap
Sangini - Empower women in rural India
19%
Raised
Rs.67,814
of Rs.3,50,000
18 supporters
  • AJ

    Created by

    Abhijit Jha
  • NG

    This fundraiser will benefit

    NOBA GSR

    from Patna, Bihar

Story

Out of the 355 million menstruating women in India, only about 36% of them use sanitary napkins and the rest 64%, primarily living in semi-rural and rural India, use unhygienic products like cloths, rags and newspapers during menstruation (Source: Menstrual Health in India | Country Landscape Analysis). While most women living in urban areas are aware about menstrual hygiene and can easily get access to sanitary products from grocery stores and pharmacies, the women in rural India are usually either less aware of feminine hygiene products or sometimes are unable to gain access to these when required. Some even think that sanitary products are a luxury!

This often results in women in rural India getting infections and reproductive health problems. In fact reproductive tract infections are 70% more common among women who use unhygienic materials (Source: Spot on! Dasra). In addition to this around 23% of girls drop out of school after they start menstruating (Source: Water Aid, India). Because of all these factors, women are exposed to cultural discrimination, dangerous health risks and lose out on economic and education opportunities, adding to gender inequality.

Two significant issues affecting the lower usage of sanitary items are accessibility and affordability. In recent times the government has started various schemes to improve sanitary item usage among menstruators, especially in rural areas. These schemes have collectively helped in improving the usage of sanitary items. However, of all the states and union territories, Bihar, where I originally come from, scores the lowest on sanitary items usage as per the latest National Family Health Survey-5 (NFHS-5). Compared to other parts of the country, the usage of sanitary products here is still less than 70%. This shows that this problem is still very prevalent and additional efforts are required to drive improvements. Therefore, I would like to support this cause in villages in Bihar, India. This would include Munger and other districts.

I would like to raise funds for the installation of sanitary pads dispenser and incinerator for disposal of used pads. These machines will provide sanitary pads to young girls and women at an affordable rate near their houses. An incinerating machine will also be installed to ensure proper disposal of pads after usage to maintain a clean and healthy environment. In addition to this, the funds raised will also be used for operations and maintenance. To support this cause, I will be partnering with NOBA GSR organization that has already been working in this direction to successfully implement these facilities in the state of Bihar and Jharkhand as part of the ‘Sangini’ program. For more information please refer to their website: https://www.noba.org/initiatives/sangini.

This initiative needs help from all of you. Let’s step up and contribute to women empowerment!


For more information fee free to check out the following links:

About Sangini initiative

Installation of sanitary napkins dispenser and incinerator in one of the villages in Bihar

Read More

support