Organization seeking funding: Bangalore Medical Services Trust (BMST)
BMST was established by the Rotary Club of Bangalore and TTK & Company in 1984. Initially set up to provide blood-banking services through its division, the Rotary Bangalore-TTK Blood Bank, it has evolved over time to become a centre of excellence in the areas of blood banking, transfusion and Immunohematology; Tissue banking, Transplant Immunology Laboratory testing for solid organ and stem cell transplantation; Training; Research; health education and community based health services.
Funding is required to improve BMST’s Transplant support program by upgrading
1. The HLA (Human Leukocyte Antigen) Lab
Total Funding requirement: Rs. 1,16,31,000 (1.16 Crore)
Bangalore is a preferred centre for organ and Stem Cell transplants. There are tens of thousands of patients needing organ and Stem Cell transplants. Bangalore has many corporate and Government hospitals with transplant facilities of International Standards. So many patients, both from India and abroad, come down to Bangalore for treatment
Who needs an Organ transplant?
Patients with end stage diseases of organs such as kidney, heart, lung, liver and so on leading to failure need an organ transplant.
Living organ donors can donate one kidney, a lung, or a portion of the liver, pancreas, or intestine. The organs are also retrieved from deceased donors
Who needs a Blood Stem Cell Transplant?
Patients with Blood Cancers like Leukemia, other disorders like Thalassemia need a Blood Stem Cell Transplant. The Peripheral Blood Stem Cells (PBSC) is collected from the donors using Apheresis equipment.
- Human leukocyte Antigen or HLA are proteins present on the surface of Leukocytes or WBCs. If our body encounters bacteria, virus, any foreign cell or tissue, HLA help the immune system identify them as foreign or non-self. The immune system then produces antibodies, killer cells and chemical against the foreign objects to destroy or eliminate them. For a successful Organ or Blood Stem Cell transplant, the HLA type of donor and recipient should match. Else there will be Immune rejection.
BMST’s support for patients needing Organ or Blood Stem Cell Transplant includes:
- DKMS BMST Foundation India
The Transplant Immunology (HLA) testing Laboratory (NABH Accredited)
It is believed that there are more than 17,000 types of HLA and new ones are being discovered every year. The existing Luminex equipment has become out-dated and cannot identify the newer HLA types and HLA antibodies.
We need the updated Luminex Flex Map 3D equipment which would allow more in-depth investigation and analysis. This is required to find the ideal donor and recipient match in order to ensure a successful transplant with a good outcome.
- HLA Luminex : Rs. 64,31,000
- Spectra Optia Apheresis machine Rs 44,00,000
- Other equipment & Tools : Rs 8,00,000
- A crash cart
- Donor adjustable bed
- The kits and other consumables
Thanks and regards
Dr. Latha Jagannathan
Medical Director & Managing Trustee
Bangalore Medical Services Trust
- Recognised as a Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (SIRO) by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India.
- First and only NGO blood bank in Karnataka to be accredited by the National Accreditation Board for Hospitals (NABH)
- Designated as a specialized laboratory of Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (RGUHS) and a Centre of Excellence in blood banking, immunohematology and tissue typing for collaborative research and training.
- Kempegowda Award – 2007 in recognition of work in the area of voluntary blood donation.
- Recognition by National AIDS Control Organization (NACO) for 100% voluntary blood donation.
- Awarded every year by KSAPS, for the highest collection of voluntary donor blood.
- It was adjudged the best training centre in blood banking and immunohematology in 2014 by the NBTC- CMC, Vellore- CDC, Atlanta, and the Christian Medical association of India, project on Blood Safety in India