COVID-19 has halted growth and derailed economies, affecting livelihoods and human health. As of writing, COVID-19 has engulfed the world, with 7,670,816 testings positive to the virus, including 427,097 deaths. India’s cases are rising after the lockdown was opened in the first week of June 2020. India witnessed a spike of 10,956 cases – the highest recorded jump few days after the country was reopened. And according to Dr. SP Byotra, Vice-Chairman of Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, we are likely to see a peak in COVID-19 cases “in early or mid-July or possibly in August”.
He further warns that India is not ready to manage the magnitude of cases that would need hospitalisation, if we were to admit 10-15 percent of the current confirmed cases.
Lack of healthcare infrastructure and outstretched medical workers are further dampening the fight to control the virus. These efforts are futile if we do not have a viable testing system to identify cases in time to react appropriately. We predict that the coming scenario would be the scariest. In West Bengal, the situation is further declining. On 26 June 2020, the state recorded its highest number of COVID-19 cases, The infection graph in West Bengal is rapidly increasing every day. Over and above the West Bengal government lacks in the needed facilities for fast testing. As a result, there is no way to identify COVID-19 cases and halt it’s spread.
Patachitra Entertainment Private Ltd. is a design based company located in Kolkata. We are doing our bit in this fight. FSC van (Fast Sample Collection van) is a hi-tech modified van which will be used to conduct COVID-19 testing. Some of its features are – metal sheet cover on three sides, one side fixed with transparent glass attached with gloves protruding outside the glass. This van will also come enabled with additional features such as audio speakers, CCTV camera, laptop, Air condition, sanitizer and FSCV App.
- Audio speakers will help the medical workers in communicating with the people.
- CCTV camera will record all the happenings around the FSC van.
- FSCV app will collect the record of every person visiting the van. Details such as name, phone number, address and aadhar ID will be collected. This will help in the future to inform or trace the person when he has tested positive for COVID-19.
- A.C. inside the van will help maintain the room temp
- perature of the van. Also ensuring the test kits remain undamaged.
- Sanitizer, which will be located above the van, will have a capacity to hold 20 litres of sanitizing liquid to sanitize the medical kit as well as people.
FSC Van is designed in such a way that it remains sustainable and relevant even when COVID-19 is brought under control. It can be converted into a high-tech ambulance. Our motto is to design the FSC van and donate it to the hospitals who require it the most so that it can be brought into service immediately.
Our initial requirement is of two FSC vans and per FSC van cost is coming Rs 14,59,500. Budget for two vans is Rs 29,19,000. We will launch these two vans starting from our hometown, Kolkata. It’s a tough battle ahead and we believe that if we are even able to completely eradicate the virus from Kolkata, it’s a battle worth fighting for.