At a place 75 Kms east of the Mumbai airport lies a small village of about 3000+ people where the average household earning is INR 1.2 Lacs (or $ 1.5k) per annum (lesser than the national average) and the average land holding is 10+ acres per household (five times the national average).
Having spent 1+ years working with them them on numerous tree plantation and sustainable farming promotion programs, I realised that 90% of the farmers who have land including myself, don’t have any spare money to setup the most basic infrastructure to cultivate and earn money from their farmlands - Fence, Effective Irrigation Method and Access to low cost sustainable farming techniques.
As a result, the only way they are forced to draw value out of their land is by selling them.
Numerous tree plantation drives have been performed, numerous organic farming trainings have been organised and numerous rural upliftment program have been undertaken by so many NGOs but none of them yielded the expected results. This fundraiser is an attempt to combine the above three into one in order to achieve the below:
- Plantation of 10,000+ trees that yield their first fruit after a span ranging from 3 months to 2 years
- One time development of the basic infrastructure and imparting the technical know how required to practice low cost sustainable farming.
- Utilisation of freely available uncultivated plains available with farmers incapable of farming and generation of recurring source of incomes from the farms utilised under this.
A total sum of INR 8Lacs ($ 10k) to plant 10,000 trees over 4 acres of farmland (@ INR 80 or $ 1 per tree )
Breakup of Fund Utilisation
Procurement of saplings and trees - Approx INR 2.4 Lacs (or $ 3k)
- 300 Mango Trees @ INR 350 Each - Approx 1.05 Lacs ( or $ 1.35k)
- 100 Coconut Trees @ INR 800 Each - Approx INR 80k (or $ 1k)
- 400 Banana Trees @ INR 50 Each - Approx 20k ( or $ 0.25k)
- 2000 Marigold Plants @ INR 5 Each - Approx 10k (or $ 0.125k)
- 1000 Drumstick Plants @ INR 20 Each - Approx 20k ( or $ 0.25k)
- Plantation of 6000 Natural Bio Fence plants ( Bamboo, Lemongrass, Karonda) for crop protection & enhancing the bio diversity- Approx INR 50k ( or $ 0.625k)
- Irrigation Setup - Drip Irrigation and Borewell - Approx INR 1.5 Lacs
- Land preparation cost - Levelling, ploughing & digging - Approx INR 1 Lacs ( or $ 1.25k)
- Appointment of 3 Labour for 1st year @ INR 25k per month - Approx INR 3 Lacs ( $ 3.75k)
- Cost of administering Bio Fertilizers - INR 20k (or $ 0.25k)
- Cost of administering Bio pesticides- INR 60k ( or $ 0.75k)
- Cost of Labour for miscellaneous activities like removing weeds, mulching, pruning etc - Approx INR 20k (or $ 0.25k)
- Doubling of the Household incomes of 100 families over the the next one year and tripling over the next 2 years.
- Over 100 Tons of CO2 absorbed from the atmosphere in the first year itself.
- Increased ground water level
- Increased adoption of sustainable farming techniques in the adjoining areas through stories of the benefitted farmers.
- Satisfaction of having contributed to an environment conservation cause and a merchandise from the community as a token of appreciation ( T-shirt or a Bag)
- Blessings and good wishes of 100+ farmer families.
- Several nights of great and peaceful sleep.