The children come to our Homes because their parents have died, or are unable to take care of them, because of the children often being quite sick. They need health and emotional support, due to their disempowered background and their special conditions. Through Rafa Homes we seek to give them a healthy, safe, and beloved childhood, and to see them grow up to become strong, joyful, and caring women and men. We provide the following in the Home:
- A family setting: Carers and home parents live in the Homes along with the children, seeking to create a loving and engaging environment.
- Education: Most of our children study in a private English Medium School, a few are enrolled with the NIOS (National Institute of Open Schooling), and one attends a school for children with different needs.
- Creative activities: We encourage our children to explore their creativity through art, poetry, and music. Volunteers come to the Homes (now online!) to engage with the children in fun games and exercises.
- Counseling: Several children have gone through traumas in early age—they have lost parents and families, lived on the street, and have battled a lot of illness. We help the children process this through counseling, group therapy, and the support of psychiatrists when necessary.
- Medical care: To care for the children’s medical needs we work with a government hospital that provides medicines for free, as well as with other doctors on call.
The Rafa Homes welcome your loving support to be able to sustain essential care and services to the children. For the next six months, we’re aiming to raise Rs 15,00,000 (15 lakh). From our overall budget, here is what your donation can buy for the children…
- INR 500 covers toiletries & medicine for one child per month (this is medicine that is not provided for free from the government hospital).
- INR 1,500 covers activities—counseling, group therapy, pocket money, special outings, and celebrations for one month for a child.
- INR 3,000 covers the food cost for one child for a month. Our menu is approved by CWC (Child Welfare Committee, Delhi Government) and we try to give the children extra protein and other extra nutrition they need to grow healthy and strong.
- INR 4,000 pays for rent & utilities for one child per month
- INR 5,000 pays for the education needs of one of our children for a month. This includes the monthly average school fee, the costs of books, stationery, uniforms, extra internet connection for online classes, and after-school tutoring. (Note that this includes school bus facility is Rs 2,000 per month and child. Due to the pandemic, we do not have that expense this year, but as school opens again, this will be needed.)
- INR 14,000 caters to all the above for one child for a month… food, rent, education, toiletries, and medicines
Due to the guidelines of CWC and to maintain the integrity of the children, we do not use their real name and do not publish any photos with faces in public documents.
To know more about us, please visit www.newgenerationtrust.org