Due to prevalence of COVID pandemic, the community has been widely effected. After the COVID-19, people were unprepared for the COVID wave-2. In 2021, sudden surge in COVID has effected unprepared community and existing health system. For the treatment of COVID patient, so far hospitals are failing due to the shortage of medical equipment’s, adequate number of beds, medicine, etc. The community is not aware of the COVID prevention, timely treatment and vaccination which is leading their life into danger.
We work closely with economically under privileged communities in Jharkhand. As an urgent response to the current situation, SUPPORT (an NGO based at Hazaribag, Jharkhand) is working on a COVID Support program to needy families. We are starting this program from Hazaribag, Ramgarh and Bokaro districts of Jharkhand. Our team here works closely with community members and women Self Help Groups. We are getting regular distress calls and trying to address in a best possible manner.
2. Strategies for COVID mitigation and fund deployment:
- To focus on Home isolation and Home treatment(for the initial stage or mild cases of COVID):
- - SUPPORT will assign 100 volunteers and 10 supervisors to facilitate home isolation and treatment by supply of 30000 medicine kit(under project and convergence with government), measurement of oxygen level, temperature etc.
- -The volunteers will monitor each patient for 10 days under guidance of the medical expert. -The volunteers will be selected among the SHG members and Asha didi. They will be trained by the medical expert(2 trainings every month). The volunteer will be given Rs. 400 incentive for monitoring 1 patient for consecutive 10 days.
- -Volunteers will be equipped with oximeter, thermometer and safety gears such as N-95 Mask, gloves and Face shield. Volunteers will be supported with incentive, medical insurance, and training.
- - community awareness will be done on wearing face masks, social distancing, handwash, etc.
- -10000 Mask and 30000 sanitiser bottles will be distributed among the needy families.
- To facilitate the vehicle to transport the patients to Hospital.-The vehicle hiring cost Rs. 5000 will be directly provided to the 25 needy family who can’t afford cost of ambulance/vehicle
- To facilitate vaccination and testing among the community:
-The volunteers and supervisors will facilitate for vaccination and testing among the community